Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DIMM Problem

• Please log in to reply

superman55027

superman55027

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey I have been having a small problem with my laptop that i would like some help tp get resolved. When I shut down my computer and then try to restart it. The laptop beeps at me and i have been looking through the codes and I found the right one on the IBM website, Oh by the way the Labtop is a IBM T30. The code says it is a problem with the DIMM (most likey) or Motherboard (less likely) I was wondering what can i do to fix this problem.

Oh by the way here is what the website says:
One short beep, pause, three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep.

Promlem: DIMM.
System board

Edited by superman55027, 31 October 2006 - 03:41 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if reseating the memory does not help...you could also go to your local computer repair shop...they should have used but known good stick of memory to put in to see if the memory is really the problem....
if the computer works properly for awhile and only cause's problems when you try to restart..it may be a heat issue...try leaving it off for 15 minutes and then restart it...if it restarts after cooling off its a heat issue ,,,

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK i have been thinking it is a heat issue so when i resart it i put it front of a fan for about 15-30 min then it restarts perfectly fine so if it is a restart problem how do i fix that?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the manufactures website ...in the support section for your make and model...see what they recommend to blow /suck out the crap clogging the fan /heatsink /filter....you may have to do some disassembly to git-r-done....a PITA for sure

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the manufactures website ...in the support section for your make and model...see what they recommend to blow /suck out the crap clogging the fan /heatsink /filter....you may have to do some disassembly to git-r-done....a PITA for sure

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok I have gotten a little bit of a break through in my situation here. Today I got a 128 MB stick of RAM, and i placed it in my computer and to do this I had to reastart it and i noticed that I had no problem booting it up so I rebooted once again and it worked just find. But here is were the tricky thing comes into play I have two ports for ease I will call them port A and port B. OK I have always had my RAM in port A it is 256 MB stick port B is empty this is when I had the problem with the beeping. Now I have 256 MB in Port A and 128 MB in Port B, now my computer no longer beeps, but it only reconizes 128 MB of RAM in port B, but I can switch so I have 128 MB in Port A and 256 MB in Port B. Then my computer says that I have 256 MB of RAM like I did before. So were i have gotten is that I have 256 MB of RAM and my computer does not beep at me, but how would i go about getting my computer to reconize what I have in port A?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if I understand correctly it sounds like port A is dead or dirty

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well that is what i was kind of thinking but before I had the 256 MB stick in Port A and sometimes it would beep when it booted up but when it did boot up it never siad it had a problem reading the memory in port A

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you got me...no idea what to try now

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
you have any idea what it would cost to take it to a shop to have them look at?