Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XBox 360 Vs Wii (and soon PS3)

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys,

What do you think of these?

Today i heard you can buy the premium X-Box and Wii for less than the release price of the PS3. I also hear the PS3 is going to be the best graphics by a long shot, but which one of these systems will be the best gaming system?

I think the Wii will have the best game play (both bored on a rainy day and drunk with the lads after the pub) but as far as i can tell the graphics are pretty much X-box 1. The 360 and great graphics but apparantly the PS3 is going to blow it away.

What you guys say?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They each have their good points, add them all together and you get a kick [bleep] PC, if you are really into gaming PCs are a good way to go, however if its just an occasional laugh you want and not to expensive the Wii looks good.

Both Xbox360 and PS3 are too expensive and there games are over 30% more than what is still normal for PC games. Also because of the corporate politics you wont get all the games for one available for the other. The wii has its own game style, its gfx aren't as good but they are decent better than original xbox although that's partially game design most of the ninti games don't go for the realism angle which is easier on the GPUs.

Pretty happy with my PC, PS3 looks like itll be good console however if i were buying i would get Wii i usually hated nintendo consoles apart from the gameboy because games were stupid and graphics poor however its got a good angle and a better price as well as a bit more power than is usual for a Nintendo which were always weedy(its not going to compete with the other consoles power wise but it has enough for its own needs).

To be honest i never saw the Xbox appeal, the games were quite poor to me alot of them poorly done FPS games which have no place on a console, and racing games i always prefered PS and it had a hold on that market since before there was any xbox.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I am personally partial to the PS3 just because I have an unhealthy obsession with the Final Fantasy series. Dont get me wrong I like Halo also but as far as the Xbox goes there really hasnt been anything released for it that I wanted to play that is not on either the PC or Playtion.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Actually I can't stand the PS3. One of my friends researched the 360 and the PS3. He said that most of the people on TV and stuff said that the PS3's processor is faster, which makes the graphics better but they said its not like its like " WOW THEY'RE BETTER THAN THE 360." Now the Wii I probably know the most about cause my friend is a Nintendo fanatic. He knows everything about the Wii. I personally am gonna buy it and then get he 360 cause i dont have the money for the 360 yet. The Wii has abunch of cool things aside from the motion sensors. One it supposedly has the bet backwards compatibility being able to download games from all of Nintendo's home consoles. It will have some amazing games like Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Red Steel. Nintendo even says Twilight Princess is the most beautiful game they have ever made. Well anyways, if you have the money and you game a lot go for the 360 or PS3. But if you just want to play occasionally and just have fun with your friends get the Wii. Also the Wii comes with Wii sports.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you game alot you wouldnt get a console, more a PC thing for big gamers.

PS3s pricessor is marvelous beast, it was developed by not just Sony but Toshiba and several other companies, its got 8 CPUs and each one is faster than a single core of todays standard in the full power versions, they have clocked up to 6 and 8Ghz which is very impressive for any commercial CPU. Its just an amazing little chip. Hardware wise their is almost no competition the PS3 wins hands down everything is better the Xbox360 apart from the GPU uses stuff thats out now and has been around for a while almost everything in the PS3 is next gen even the memory is excellent stuff.

It also has the plus of using a linux based OS theoretically it can be modified easier than an Xbox and it offers a bit better flexibilty. On paper their is almost no competition. But when has that ever been the big factor, sony has one of the most out of touch PR depertments yet they rely totally on having a good product which fair enough they often have but not always and they seem to occasionally lack someone at the design stage to say stop we can sell that as it is, rather than let them keep on going and end up with something horrendously difficult to make.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
You have very good points. The processor does kick Xbox 360's [bleep]. I read because its a faster processor that they can program more physics calculations into games so that when wind blows they can make single leaves blow. Kinda cool. Also the PS3 is like the size of a grill. Its fricking huge. And also about the Wii, online for Wii is for free. Also when u turn the Wii off its not rele off its in standby mode, using the power of a small light bulb, and its always online. So its the system that never sleeps. The example my friend usually gives is like if your playing Animal Crossing and then u turn it off, someone can leave u a not in ur village or something. Personally I would never play animal crossing. Me personally, I'm gonna get the Wii, and then get the 360.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

I have an unhealthy obsession with the Final Fantasy series.

Me too...[bleep], slipped my mind, FF is the best game series ever.

However i remember that while FF kept me glued to the screen for days on end, nothing compares to say Time Splitters for replayability, especially with multiplayer Coop and competative. Halo was great, but the multiplayer was limited in comparison.

The only game i replay on the PS2 is Tekken 5 and occassional I Binge On FF7.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I am personally partial to the PS3 just because I have an unhealthy obsession with the Final Fantasy series. Dont get me wrong I like Halo also but as far as the Xbox goes there really hasnt been anything released for it that I wanted to play that is not on either the PC or Playtion.

Ever heard of Gears of War? That game is freakin unbelievable!

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
That's my main reason for buying the 360. That game looks amazing. Don't have the money to get it but it looks sick. As for the PS3. I played at the Sony store at the mall today and it is amazing. The game i played MotorStorm was crazy. The handling on the cars were amazing.

chopk

chopk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I like the Wii and the 360, I just think that PS3 is way over priced especially when it already has competition on the market. If it was cheaper i might have bought one just for FF but not at that price. I'll get a Wii, I already have my PC for gaming and i want something with a different style. If they implement it well red steel is going to be awesome with that controller.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the only main difference in price is in the base models fully kitted out the 360 and PS3 work out roughly the same and PS3 can actually fit its drive internally. Some of the games are and will be coming in 3 or 4 dvds the HDDVD should have been standard on the 360.

By early rumours it might be possible to use wii controllers on the PC people are working on it, with any luck you should be able in a little while to buy a wiimote and get some drivers to use it on the PC.

Gears of war is most likely coming to the PC after halo3 is out in a traditional fps form but also being full DX10.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I'd rather play Gears of War on 360 for some reason. And if the Wii remotes are usable on the PC then I'd get them in a second and I wouldnt have to buy the Wii. When I played the PS3 and then played the 360 I couldn't tell the different in GFX except for a few shadows and reflections that the PS3 has.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most of the ps3 games are ports or they didnt have time for proper optimisation(ps2 had that problem it was so difficult when it first came out games werent as good looking as later ones the hardware didnt change developers just learned how to use what they had better) in 6 months to a year PS3 games should start to look much better.

It should be a different beast on the PC, they might keep it the same but its doubtful itll be a slightly different approach on the same game.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This may be an interesting read for you guys
http://www.tgdaily.c..._game_consoles/
Its interesting that the Wii can't at this point play DVD's. As for the HDDVD with the 360, i have heard rumors in the past that microsoft plans to integrate the two. But i have doubts, considering its another way to make an extra buck.
In the end though i'm buying a gaming computer in febuary, to me it makes more sense.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 November 2006 - 12:00 AM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I would go for the Wii or the Xbox360. Too many glitches in the PS3 at the moment. In my opinion, the PS3 is like a gaming computer. The wii looks fun though, its like your there. Finally, virtual reality!