Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 minute boot time

• Please log in to reply

paulster

paulster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, my system hangs on a black screen between the xp logo and the welcome screen for about a minute and a half, bringing my boot time to about 2 minutes. I have used bootlog xp to analyse startup sequence and it seems to hang after loading mouhid.sys for about 75 seconds. I have run spybot, adaware, mcafee virus checker and done a sfc /scannow to replace/restore system files but nothing has improved the boot time. I have also defragged and optimised my registry using registry mechanic and tried disabling mcafee firewall for 1 reboot. I am now totally out of ideas and would appreciate any help anyone can give! My machine seems to be running fine apart from this so it's not that big a deal, but it's bugging the heck out of me!

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Edited by paulster, 31 October 2006 - 04:22 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How long has this been going on? Did it start suddenly or gradually? Can you pinpoint anything in particular that happened just before? Do you have a WXP restore point?

Look at MS article 182725 - it talks about changing some of the default settings for SFC.

The Mouhid.sys is a Microsoft input device driver - I think it's a USB mouse driver. Have you installed (or uninstalled) a new mouse and its drivers recently?

paulster

paulster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

How long has this been going on? Did it start suddenly or gradually? Can you pinpoint anything in particular that happened just before?

Quite a while but I had a hard drive crash about 3 weeks ago and had to buy a new hard drive and clean install (with a different copy of XP than before so it might be a non xp software problem). All was fine but then I installed a bunch of software within a couple of days and it returned, but I don't know what did it.

Do you have a WXP restore point?

Yes, lots but if I'm going to go back that far I may as well do a clean install and it's not worth that much time and effort - it's more an annoyance than a major problem.

Look at MS article 182725 - it talks about changing some of the default settings for SFC.

Thanks. I just restored back to before the SFC as it seemed to screw up my windows authentication.

The Mouhid.sys is a Microsoft input device driver - I think it's a USB mouse driver. Have you installed (or uninstalled) a new mouse and its drivers recently?

No, it's just a standard p&p USB mouse, no drivers installed. Should I install some?

Thanks for your reply.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No, I wouldn't install any mouse drivers.

So you've seen the same slow boot with two different installations on two hard drives?

If you've seen the same thing on two installations but with the basically the same set of software installed, I would think it is a conflict with one or more of those software.

If you have the time, the next time you do a clean install, install one or two software, reboot to check the length of time, possible conflicts, etc., then wait half a day or a full day. That way you can verify that everything is running well.

That doesn't really help this situation, but that's all I've got.

paulster

paulster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, thanks for your help anyway!

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey paulster just wanted to say Welcome to geeks to go

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Actually...sounds like a hardware issue. If you have a USB mouse, unplug it from the system, then try and boot, see if it moves any faster.

paulster

paulster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestion Kurenai but no joy I'm afraid.

paulster

paulster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Spoke too soon, found the problem! It's my pc joypad! If I unplug it my system boots in normal time, so I guess the computer is trying to apply mouhid.sys to the joypad and timing out? Next question is, how to solve the problem without unplugging the joypad on every reboot - I have no front usb ports so it's awkward to do this. FYI, the joypad is plugged into a usb 2 expansion card, the mouse is plugged into the motherboards usb 1 port. My system is a little outdated and only has 2 usb ports, hence the 4 port expansion card.

Thanks for giving me the idea, at least I know what the problem is now!