Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Yes i have... both have the same result

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Reformatting with f-disk always destroys all data! :blink: But since you apparently cannot check-disk, that also might be a problem...mmmmmmm...conumdrum, save for some serious surgery :whistling:

>If you could get into the set up, and reinstall another copy of Windows on a newly made partition, just long enough so that you can get into the thing and then transfer the needed files off the computer and then onto disks with your burner, that might be an option. Windows might self-search for a good portion of the disk and set it up there...

>If you can get some booster cables and manipulate the main computer from another computer, and suck off the good files to it, and then mess around with the old computer to see where it is at, that might be another option. You'll have to ask someone how to do it though, that is not my strength.

>If you could download XP startup disk [will need 6 floppies] program, and get it going that way, there is another option...

>If your drive is failing, then Hard Drive Mechanic might be the way to go to be sure...others may suggest another option.

>If you could download a few recovery progs, and use their trial function to at least get some life into the old thing, that might be an option...assuming that you can get into Explorer with the cable hookup...try a few suggestions:

1. Active File Recovery [Active has a bunch of good tools at their site]
2. AnyReader
3. BadCopyPro
4. Dead Disk Doctor
5. Object Rescue Pro
6. Power Data Recovery
7. R-Studio
8. check a DOS site to see if there are any suggestions there, ones that will allow access off a floppie...

Most of these assume that you have access to Windows Explorer[u]. I have never used them from your position of not having any access to anything...that is why I suggested Hard Drive Mechanic which can be used off a floppie.

There are a few bits and bobs of software out there that might be able to retrieve what is still recoverable, but only if the drive is accessible, or at least accessible from DOS, i.e. the floppie drive. I believe some will even "mark" the bad spots, shift files to the good spots and then you can motor on. ...I've not done this before, but I have read about it....trying to be prepared!

I have just recently dealt with this very issue with a client of mine. ..she ultimately had to take the computer into the "shop" and they took out the hard drive and mounted it into another machine just for that purpose. They even took a plater or two out and set them back up in another hard drive to see if the other could get info off them...but they were too far gone...she is in a right pickle... :help:

Edited by b1caez01, 03 November 2006 - 12:23 AM.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ok I think im going to accept there is no way of recovering my harddrive entact. So now im left with the problem of trying to recover any recoverable data left on the hard drive. You mentiond many programs i could use but i am confused as to how to get these programs on my computer in the first place to run (my comp doesnt have a floppy). You also mentioned that i could install windows xp on another partition and boot from that long enough to transfer data. This would be ideal but i have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this. I do have 2 external hardrives (both with plenty of space) where i can store the data until I fix my laptop. I also have Macs i can use to help in this proccess. Thanx again for tkaing time to help :-D.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
The suggestions which I made were based upon what I have read over the years, not on first hand knowledge. I would hope someone else would pop in and either support a method or pan it :help:

I did say, that I was assuming that you could access Windows Explorer...if you cannot, under any circumstance, and you want to tackle the recovery your self, and not take it to a techie shop, then I would first use my laptop or whichever one was functional, to do the donkey work. Read up on using cables to mate the two, one as host and one as client. Check the onboard Help files for some guidance...and the internet. The cables may come in an X pattern, with one end being a smaller version of the other, like the jumpers for your car that are self polarizing. All you do is hook them up together, FROM WHAT I HAVE READ...I have had no actual experience with this. You might ask the hardware forum for support if you chose this method. It sound simple enough to me, but there may be limiting conditions that I don't know of.

By accepting the possibility that it is toast in its present condition, you have let a lot of pressure off yourself, and now can afford to experiment. Are you sure you want to go this route? I'd drop into the hardware forum and ask them before I would do much further. I am the type that goes where angels fear to tread, so I'd be off getting myself into trouble and trying to figure my way out of it...that has been my modus operendi, as they say, since I began with computers some 10 yrs ago....taught myself :whistling:

As to loading to a new partition, Windows will do this for you on bootup. It is rather good at it, from what I have read. Since you have access to a computer, and the internet, check the MS site first to get a heads up on the process. If you do not boot from a CD, you will need to change to that option in the BIOS...and then if successful, don't forget to set it back to the floppie option.

Check out this URL if you chose to partition... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348
"You can use the Microsoft Windows XP Setup program or the Fdisk and Format tools to partition and format System and startup partitions." And check out each of the suggested links to support this document, if you feel the need.

These suggestions are made with one major proviso...if you cannot access the BIOS or MBR, then your system is toast and must be taken to the shop for recusitation! They'll take it out and pop it into another machine and do the exam from there if they can't access it in your machine...that is the ultimate test, I would think.

P.S. I just noted at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013 that "The MS-DOS Fdisk utility usually updates the master boot record (MBR) only if no master boot record exists. Repartitioning with Fdisk does not rewrite this information."

Good luck, and may the Force be with you :blink:

Edited by b1caez01, 03 November 2006 - 11:47 AM.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Thank you so much... I think im going to end up just bringing it into the shop because i am horrible at "experimenting." thnx again for your help :-D

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
No problemo! If it were my machine, I'd be in there, up to my elbows, hacking and butchering the hard drive to beat the demons out. So, the issue then becomes a matter of keeping lots of blank CDs handy, and constantly backing up your files to burned disks...then beat up the hard drive every time it tries to mess with your head.

Windows is a hard task master, let it do its thing. Let it put your files where it wants, etc., and you'll have a lot less trouble with your computer...and do tons of maintenance daily!!!

I agree...take it to someone who gets paid to be careful :blink:

I recommend to lots of folks to invest in an old clunker that still works, but may not have all the bells and whistles, or up-to-date flavour of more modern computers...and use it for fun and play...like re-formatting and partitioning, etc.. Loads more fun when you have nothing to lose :whistling:

I'm still using my first computer, bought 10 yrs ago for $3700 as a clunker/lab. My present computer was specially built for me, for $1500. It has 10x the capability of my first one, in all respects, and cost less than half the first one.

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 01:22 AM.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
It turned out that my hard drive was infact busted :-(. Thnx again for your help. :-)