Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Raid Harddrive Help

• Please log in to reply

Shadow999

Shadow999

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, im in a lot of trouble here.

I have a raid set that is striped (two 150 gb sata hdds) A few hours ago, i accidently deleted the raidset. After noticing this i Created a new one and then tried to boot the comp. I now get:

Disk boot Failure Insert system disc and press enter.

Can any one please help me fix this, i have alot of important data i havent backed up!!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It might help if you provide more information. What operating systems, etc. I am more familar with Linux, so I might not be able to assist you.

Also, it seems that you created two thread with the same message:

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry824641

This creates confusion.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
DON'T DO ANYTHING YET I will be right back with a possible solution...

Raid and server faults: Avoiding data loss

How the data is stored: Typically the data you wish to recover will be written across all the disks that make up the RAID array. From a data recovery angle, this typically means that complete individual files will not exist on any one disk, but rather segments of each file will be distributed across the whole RAID array. It's therefore pointless (unless you are trying to recover data from a mirrored raid [RAID 1]) to attempt to isolate a single drive from the array and recover that.

Golden rules of RAID data recovery:

DO NOT change the disk order of the array: It's very important not to change the order of the disks in the RAID array. Infact, unless you have a physical problem with one or more disks in the array, you shouldn't need to remove them from the server. If you do remove them, it is vitally important that you put them back in the same order. Under no circumstances should you attempt to recover the data from a RAID array if the drive order has been compromised. You run an extremely high risk of losing all the data.

DO NOT run disk checking software on the array: Scandisk and Chkdsk are programs that often run automatically if a problem with the filesystem is detected. Unfortunately, these programs are unable to deal with physical damage to hard disks, and even more unfortunately, rather than terminate, they will carry on and attempt to fix any problems.

DO NOT continue to run the system if one or more of the hard disks appear faulty: If the RAID / SCSI BIOS reports that one or more drives are not functioning correctly, you may have a physical drive problem. Sometimes however, the BIOS will indicate that drives are offline not because of a physical disk problem, but rather because of a RAID configuration problem.

DO NOT re- configure the RAID: If there does not appear to be a problem with the RAID configuration, there is no need to write any new configuration data. If the configuration information has been lost or corrupted it's imperative that the RAID is re-configured

Edited by happyrck, 01 November 2006 - 02:28 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I thought I remembered where I came across a fix for this when I screwed up my stripped array a year or so ago...be patient...I will continue looking...might take some time though...

Edited by happyrck, 31 October 2006 - 07:29 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Active@ UNDELETE Enterprise Edition has advanced capabilities to access and perform data recovery on remote machines, as well as supports data recovery from RAID: Spanned, Mirrored (RAID-1), Stripped (RAID-0) and RAID-5 Volumes.

http://www.active-undelete.com/

this isn't what I was looking for...but depending on how important your data is... might be...
there is free tool that is supposed to recover data from RAID arrays I just dont remember what or where I stumbled on it...sorry I dont have the time to find it right now...