Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temps increase?

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello everyone at GTG.

After Installing my heatsink/fan (new) on my AMD Semperon 2800 (socket 462 socket a) I noticed a great decrease in temperatures.

MOBO - around 32-33 degrees celsius
Fan- around 16.5 highest

Those temps lasted around 2 weeks.

Now my temps are

35 degrees celsius (mobo)
cpu fan - 21 degrees highest

Is it OK for these temps or is something wrong?
I saw these temps on my last heatsink/fan but the cpu temp was about 35 degrees.

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
many people would die for those temperatures. Yeah they are perfectly normal nothing to worry about. The thermal paste needs time to cure in and broken into so such a slight inconsistency in temperature is not an alarming issue. I have a P4 3.0ghz with a zalman 9500 heatsink and fan (it's huge!) and the lowest temps i can get is 20 for mobo and 30 for cpu on a very cold day with all the windows open. If ur concern is about the mechanical cleaner than... i don't really know what to say i have always used alcohol, only potential problem with mechanical cleaner is that it might have left some tiny residues in the microscopic holes between the cpu and heatsink.
You don't have to worry about temperature unless it starts to hit the high 50 degrees for cpu and mobo. Most cpus can operate safely up until 80 degrees celcius.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
LOL I'd kill for a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor. (very poor at the moment)

Oh if the case is open ( I like it closed, I'm getting neon lights for it soon, so I know for a fact thats gonna bring temps down for cpu and mobo.

Well the mobo is at 36 cause now because I was watching movies on Youtube.(with a crappy graphics card, ahh christmas is around the corner)

Yeah I didn't have any mechnical cleaner so I only had that. I didnt have any problems with it. I had one freeze but I was running a test to see if I could play COD2 (with my graphics card, it aint happening) so it probably caused it to freeze. Other than that Its working fine.

Im glad those temps are awesome temperatures. Now I can brag to people about my amazing temperatures.

If I was to overheat, would my computer shut itself down?

Edited by Yield22, 31 October 2006 - 10:24 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Overheat temp for your processor is around 70C or so. Most computers will sound a beep alarm when you get into the danger zone, and shut down if it gets too hot.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
long live COD2!
on a budget but still wanna game? grab an x700 agp for under 60 dollars shop around you will find one. Not really decent enough to run COD2 on DX9 but plenty enough to play it on DX7 and honestly i don't really care about the spetacular gfx when i am headshoting ppl, a kill is a kill doesn't matter how pretty the scr shows it.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Aww man! I just updated my Direct-X to 9.0

Well When I get that video-card, Ill be blowing your brains out on the game, first I gotta buy it. Im not really a computer gamer, but now I am with my wonderful overheating ( not really) but in my opinion yes overheating Ill be blowing off heads in no-time.

hmm.. should I go for a RAM upgrade too? I am only on 256

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
oh no when i said dx7 i meant run the game in dx7 mode. it's an option in COD2. but with 256mb of ram it will be next to impossible to run COD2, 100 bucks gets u a stick of 1gb or 2stix of 512.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Christmas time is coming!! hehe.

About the temps, what are the symptoms of overheating exactly?