Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with new site

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Ok, i am VERY new to web-design, but i'm getting along quite well (i've got basic html fairly down and such). I'm using Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash and Contribute mostly to develope my site. I've only got three questions for now:
1) i want to add songs to my site for download. The trick is that only two or three per band must be available
for free, the rest require registration and payment per song. How can i manage this? (adding songs for
download AND charging for additional downloads)
2) when i change the background color of my page (to say black), the navigation bars (like related links and
such) remain grey. How can i change the color of these bars as well?
3) I want to make the banner of my site animated. I create the animated text in Flash, but when i import it to
Dreamweaver, it doesnt play. When i open this same page in contribute,it plays perfectly.

Thanks for the help so long, you'll be hearing from me in a few weeks with more intricate questions, hehe (especially about dynamic pages and linking pages, i'm having some trouble with that as well).

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

1) i want to add songs to my site for download. The trick is that only two or three per band must be available
for free, the rest require registration and payment per song. How can i manage this? (adding songs for
download AND charging for additional downloads)

For the registration and payment you'll probably need some kind of shoppping cart software.

The free songs are easy, there are a few ways to do it.
The simplest is to give a link to the mp3 (or whatever format), for example
<a href="http://domain.com/01.mp3">track 1</a>
and then your visiters will be able to download it by right clicking the link.

You can also install a script to allow downloads. http://www.zubrag.co...ts/download.php seems like a good free program, I've never tried it though.

2) when i change the background color of my page (to say black), the navigation bars (like related links and
such) remain grey. How can i change the color of these bars as well?

That depends on how you achieved those colours in the first place. For example if you styled them through CSS, then you need to find the .css file and edit it in there. If they were buttons/images, then you'd need to make new images.

3) I want to make the banner of my site animated. I create the animated text in Flash, but when i import it to
Dreamweaver, it doesnt play. When i open this same page in contribute,it plays perfectly.

Not too sure about this one, I don't usually use Dreamweaver, but from what I remember, flash animations don't automatically play in the preview mode, you'd have to click a button for it to start playing. Don't know if that was the case?

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

That depends on how you achieved those colours in the first place. For example if you styled them through CSS, then you need to find the .css file and edit it in there. If they were buttons/images, then you'd need to make new images.

Thanks so far lcl, i've at least got this problem figured out. After some digging and fiddling, turned out it was just a minor change needed in the stylesheet, got it all black now and lookin great. still havin a rough time with my other issues, but that will be sorted soon enough. Heh, look forward to questions about dynamic pages, i'm having a [bleep] of a time figuring that out :/

Edited by BlackHalo, 03 November 2006 - 04:07 PM.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
OK, quick new question along the same lines:

I've messed around in Fireworks and designed a page in there (well, the layout of it, no links to text or buttons yet). It's actually just for the fun of it, but i'd like to know how to import it as a page to Dreamweaver? I know how to import it as html, but then it shows as an image in Dreamweaver and i can't change the text to links or add anything on the page itsself. So how do i emport from fireworks in a way that i can edit the html for it in Dreamweaver? (If at all possible)

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I assume you exported the finished layout from Fireworks into Dreamweaver using the Export function in the File menu. When in Dreamweaver, select the item you want to edit, it should hopefully say Fireworks table, image, etc. in the properties inspector. You should also see a small bar button in the properties inspector with the Fireworks logo and the word Edit. (lower right hand side - you may need to expand the property inspector) Click this. This will bring up Fireworks with your document opened. Notice that there is a Done button with the Dreamweaver logo and the words "Editing from Dreamweaver". When you are finsihed editing, click this button and it will take you back to Dreamweaver and the edited page.

I have found that it works faster to have Fireworks minimized while working in Dreamweaver. That way when I need to edit something, it saves a bit of time.

Edited by boomercj, 05 November 2006 - 05:27 PM.