Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What is the difference between IDE and SATA hard drives?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to advance my knowledge of computers to todays standards. I built my own pc recently and used what I guess you can all say is yesterdays standars. My pc is a 1.4Ghz P3 with an IDE drive, etc.

I want to build a new pc soon and I would like to know what and why is there IDE and SATA? What is the difference? What does it mean or stand for?

Any information would be helpful. I assume that a SATA hard drive can only go on a certain motheboard or something?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well that can be a complicated answer but the most brief and easiest way would be to say... ide or PATA is old technology and SATA is the new technology. And yes either your motherboard has to support it or you need to have a seperate card for it. essentially sata is faster than ide and the cables are much smaller and don't block airflow...Also ( at least in theory...haven't tried myself ) sata are hot swap though it's debateable if the motherboard would be able to pick it up correctly or not...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
A nice writeup can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Serial_ATA
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Parallel_ATA