Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with d/l of Nero 6 Clean Tool?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am really frustrated after several days of attempts. I need to d/l the Nero 6 Clean Tool and do a fresh install.
I have posted in DVD forums and followed suggestions and to no avail.

What happens is this. I have used the regular Nero English site to d/l as well as international sites and even did a copy and paste of an "fttp." Link given to me and I get the same thing occurring.
At the D/L site when I click on download the little green blocks move ever so slowly across the bottom of the Window leading me to believe that the d/l is occurring but it is so slow and I am on high speed.

Then a Window opens up saying page not available and on the task bar at the bottom an error message of "cannot find server".

All my other d/l's are fine, and my notebook is clean.

I need to access this tool and do a fresh install of this program and am at my wits end as I have been working at this over the past several days.
Googling the problem and posting and can't seem to find the solution.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
BTW, I also have checked my settings.

Best Regards and I look forward to comments.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the link you used

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/General-CleanTool.zip

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Many thankyous for the reply, yes that is the Link and it took well over a minute to come up with the Error:
"The page cannot be displayed". And the error in the task bar "Cannot find Server".

I simply cannot understand this. I have tried the French d/l site and the German d/l site as well and nothing works???

And as mentioned I really need this tool to get a fresh reinstall.

Thankyou, I hope that you have some ideas.
Best Regards and thankyou again for your prompt reply.
:whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I downloaded it from the link and uploaded it here

http://www7.spread-i...3501d99e1558c1b

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx again for the reply, this is the Tool that I am after, is that the same one that you have posted? As there is one that cleans the drivers to and I only want this one that does the Registry.
Just thought that I should confirm this with you.

I really appreciate and respect your knowledge and prompt replies, very many thankyous. If you don't mind checking this Link out I would appreciate it very much.
Just so that I know I am using the Tool only for the Registry. The Link is:

My Webpage

Thankyou

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is the zip file I uploaded

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx again for the prompt replies, out of 6 other forums I have heard NOTHING!!!

You are indeed a knowledgeable and understanding person :whistling: which I indeed appreciate and respect.

I saved the file to my desktop and so I should just extract the files and click on the exe. to start the program is that correct.
You can obviously tell that I am not an experienced computer person.

I have never seen anyone upload a Link nor has anyone ever suggested that they could do it Cudos to your abilities to a member in dire straits!!! :blink:

And another final query, what do you think is causing me the problem of the d/l, .....the fact that it is "html"; if so is that part of my IE 6 settings or something???

Respectful Regards and again Thankyou!!! :help:

BTW, clicking on the Link in your reply in my Inbox for Outlook Express was so slow I went to my short cut to the Forum which got me quickly to the site. Why would that be??? First time it took so long for the Link to move along. As bad as when I was watching the d/l earlier in my trials of getting the Nero 6 Clean Tool.

Edited by newbie geek, 01 November 2006 - 12:03 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully you will get a folder with General Clean Tool 6 on it after you extract it, and if you open that, it just has the clean tool which you double click to run

Use the remove all option but make sure you have a record of the product key

On a web page, click tools then internet options, click delete files, include offline content, click delete cookies, click delete history

Click the advanced tab, tick do not save encrypted pages to disc, tick empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply, close the browser, open the browser, try the Nero link you used before

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
When you say on a "Web Page", do you mean the Nero 6 Page or Google and then make these setting adjustments??

Will these effect all my cookies and all my History???

As I don't want to rid of the cookies that I need for all the sites I visit.

Again you can see that I am not that literate with the computer, sorry for this mundane questions.
I just don't want to create more problems for myself.

Thanks again!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any web page

Skip cookies and history

Advertisements

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I know that Nero is strange or at least that is what I have heard and read.
But what I am experiencing is really something that has never occurred before. I saved the Link that you gave me to the desktop, the zip which was 698 kb and clicked on it and the "Welcome to compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard opened and I proceeded and ended up with General Clean Tool 859 kb folder on the Desktop.

I clicked on it and selected "select all" and then the 4 lights on my notebook went on and the timer on the Desktop for a few seconds and then the 4th light went out and I waited to see if there would appear any text on the screen and nothing happened. I returned to my programs and Nero 6 was still there and as well I did "Search" and it showed .....Nero Vision, digital, OEM, Tool kit, Start Smart, Express, and Nero check exe. App.

The file never got cleaned out.

I am absolutely >>> :whistling: .

The tool is 859 kb but is not doing anything????

Any ideas. Thankyou again very much for getting the file to me, but now I really don't know why it is doing this???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this then retry the clean up tool

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx for the again speedy reply, my biggest problem is that this is a Toshiba notebook and would mean a whole system restore as if it came out of the box brand new as these notebooks don't give you the Windows xp disc :blink: . And I don't really want to start from scratch if I can help it.

And I have long ago disabled my "System Restore" b/c of nasties hiding in the crevices.

I really don't know what to say, I was reading your instructions on trying to d/l from the original Nero site by going to any Web Site and going to first Tools and your steps and then to the Advanced Tab and the steps, the one that concerned me is putting a check by do not save encrypted pages to disc. The reason for this is b/c of my work i do have encrypted emails on the notebook.

I again posted in the After Dawn forum as well to see what Nero comments I can get since you have given me the uploaded file.

I was just wondering if I again tried to D/L from the original Nero site per your instructions; but am worried about the encrypted files issue???

I can't even click on the Nero Express to open it and it messes up my OE and so I want to rid of the program and start fresh. And this means to use that Clean Tool.

I hope this additional information is of any use to you.

Again, many thankyous. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Skip the encrypted pages

If you click sfc /scannow in post 12 it explains it is just to replace the system files, also, with tune up, it is to check for software and registry errors

Nothing in post 12 would remove data, nor would it involve a day one condition system reset

If you click start smart then click the word Nero, which version numbers are shown

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am still noting and digesting the list that you have given me previously in post 12 and thought that I should reply to your last comment on the question of what version.

I can't even get the :blink: program to open up, that is how bad it is and when i do click on it that messes up my OE and I have to reboot again to get it to work properly again, that is why i want to rid of Nero and do a fresh install.
i hope that helps.

I have printed a page of the instructions. But thought that I should post this in the interim while I am reading them.

Thankyou again :whistling: