Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems disinfecting a computer

• Please log in to reply

eugkelly

eugkelly

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am cleaning a computer for a fellow co-worker whos' children have infected thier home computer so bad, I don't know if I'll iver get it cleaned completely. I've run Adaware, HijackThis, Spybot S&D (only after removing the trouble-maker that kept closing it out), and other tools after researching files on your site and others. I just recently figured out how to get the Microsoft AntiSpyware Utility installed (it couldn't access the registry). Well there's still something hiding somewhere because the Microsoft Util got stuck on one registry key.

All the users are setup as admins which is not too good of an idea probably since I cleaned off 196 viruses and over 700 spyware. To me it looks like there is something that has restricted permissions in the registry not even allowing the admin account in safe mode to access everything. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the problems with the registry?

eugkelly

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

All the users are setup as admins which is not too good of an idea probably since I cleaned off 196 viruses and over 700 spyware.

View Post

You didn't mention what OS you were using. Inferred Win XP since you mentioned M$ AntiSpyware Utility :

1) I would repair the Win XP installation first and then see what malware I had left or

2) you could backup all the files you want to keep and reformat the hd and then do a clean install.

Can give you instructions on repairing win xp without a clean install, but #2 will get rid of everything if you reformat hd. The only bottle neck is backing up the files you want to keep.

Ron

eugkelly

eugkelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry I forgot to mention that it is running Windows XP Home. Right now I'm at the point of needing to do a repair which I have done on other computers. However I'm still waiting to talk to the owner of the computer about getting the restore CD(s) from her. This is an Emachine computer.

I have also tried connecting its hd to another computer to back up data but it then crashes that other computer when I log in. Last thing I did on it was to try resetting the permissions to administrators on hkey_classes_root because the reg key that M$ Antispyware was trying to check couldn't be accesses through regedit. Not even the keys permissions. I had alread reset the permissions on the hkey_local_machine in order to allow the M$ antispyware tool access to the windows/currentversion/run. However resetting the permissions to administrators on classes_root just completely removed all permissions previously listed. None of which had looked out of the ordinary.

eugkelly

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Sorry I forgot to mention that it is running Windows XP Home.

View Post

That was my mistake. You had already put in your OS which appears to the left of your post. I had scrolled down to re-read what you said in the "Reply" window and all that information does not appear in the posts unless you click on "Review the complete topic (launches new window)" at the bottom. That's caught me a few times already in the wee hours of the morning. :tazz:

You sound like you got the handle on how to repair the OS. After you get the CDs and repair the OS, please check the

malware removal instructions.

Once you've completed the steps, please post in the other forum :

Malware Removal - Hijack This Logs Go Here.

Please be patient and someone will get to you to read your log and help you. This is one forum that is really busy.

If you have an OS problem then please post back here in this forum.

Ron