Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Updates Wont Install

• Please log in to reply

Jban

Jban

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Greetings,

I'm not exactly sure why, but the last batch of updates fail to install successfully. Here's the exact list:

Security Update for Word 2003 (KB923094)
Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB923088)
Security Update for Publisher 2003 (KB894542)
Update for Office 2003 (KB923097)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB923272)
Security Update for PowerPoint 2003 (KB923091)
Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB923095)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB924424)

And also, is there any way to replace or fix "RTVScan.dll" ? I think that I accindetally deleted it while clearing off some Malware from my system, a few days ago, and it "BONKS!" at me every time my system boots back up into Windows.

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
RTVScan.dll looks like it might be part of Symantec (the process RTVScan.exe is Symantec). However, I get nothing from Symantec's site when I search for this file name. Symantec products are notorious for being difficult to uninstall/reinstall cleanly. What software were you using to clean malware, that might have removed this file?

Regarding the failed updates: what error message did you get? How many times have you tried to download and install them? Have you tried doing "custom" install and choosing only one of them?

Jban

Jban

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I removed that RTVscan manually, because at the time, I did not recognise the process running and figured that it might be malware.

>I have tried using Custom to install just one, and it still fails. I never see a specific error message, just the installation message saying that none could install. I DO howver SEE, in my "Shut Down" options, a WIndows Shield by Turn Off, saying, "Turn off computer to install updates." But I honestly haven't ever heard of that before, so I am hesitent to click that shut down option.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. What Symantec product do you have installed?

2. The next time you need to reboot/shutdown, choose Shut Down and Install. If the updates still won't install, check the Event Log (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer). Check both Application and System logs for date and time of the last update attempt. You should see an event from MSInstaller or something similar.

Just to confirm - is your Office installation valid, licensed, authentic, authorized?

If so and you can't get the updates to install, you can call Microsoft's Update helpdesk. The last number I had is 866/727-2338. It is free support for security update issues.

Jban

Jban

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It seems to have successfull installed the updates now... I was just afraid of an option that I hadn't seen before.

Yes, all programs are legit. It's Norton Anti-Virus 10.1.4.4000 full version.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad to hear the MS updates installed okay.

About Norton, I don't normally deal with that, only Symantec AV Corporate. But here's what I'd suggest: Go to Symantec.com, click the Support link on the middle right of the screen. On the next screen, choose Home/Home Office. On the next screen, choose Technical Support. On the next screen, choose Autofix Tool and see if it can diagnose and fix the missing dll file.

I've searched their support site for rtvscan.dll and come up with nothing. If the Autofix doesn't help, I have a feeling you'll need to reinstall.

Jban

Jban

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Umm... I just now see the shield at the bottom right, and it is notifying me of updates to install... nevermind.

and the shut down option is gone.

Edited by Jban, 01 November 2006 - 05:28 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried a system restore to day when this process was not deleted if by chance it works you will have to get those updates you installed

Jban

Jban

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I recently went through a rough week of removing Malware from off of my system, with the help of loophole, and I had cleared my past System Restores and made a new, clean one.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i got that file uploaded in my email

have you checked messages

Jban

Jban

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah, I see it, but I believe Malware was causing the problem; I removed the file, and it did not give me the error this time around when I booted up Windows.

Those updates still wont apply themselves. Cry ;(

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i checked your malware post

it appears that your not given a clean bill of health

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry825466

on your hijack log in the processes the Rtvscan.exe shows up

but on your post you show it this way did you type it exactly like this
----------------------------------------------------------------

And also, is there any way to replace or fix "RTVScan.dll" ? I think that I accindetally deleted it while clearing off some Malware from my system, a few days ago, and it "BONKS!" at me every time my system boots back up into Windows.

let the malware expert loophole finish

come back here when hes done his analysis and completes his fix

RTVScan.dll the difference between this is its in capital and is a dll and this one Rtvscan.exe has one capital and is exe

Rtvscan.exe ....this is the legit one

so if your windows updates dont work after your done in the malware forum come back here

Edited by rushin1nd, 02 November 2006 - 06:15 AM.