Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.AVI CODEC

• Please log in to reply

pernitza

pernitza

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys, I've downloaded a couple of videos with the extension .avi. The point is that part of them worked with the codec suite CCCP, probally you know it. But there are some AVI movies that just doesnt play, in any of the players. I usually use WMP to play my video files, sometimes I use MediaCenter, or POwerDVD, but all of them ,and even QuickTime didn't work. I've tried many codec already, but as I dont know exactly what kind of file .AVI is, is more difficult for me to look for that codec... Can you give me some light??
Thank you..
And, once I'm here, can you explain what kind of file .AVI is... and what is the difference between it and other movie types?
TNNNX!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Audio Video Interleave, known by its acronym AVI, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of the Video for Windows technology. AVI files contain both audio and video data in a standard container that allows simultaneous playback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI

Have you tried

VLC player

http://www.filehippo...nload_vlc/?1038

pernitza

pernitza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tnx Keith, i installed this player, and one of the two movies I had problems, I could see it on that player, but the other one didn't worked. Anyway, something funny happened, Some of my movies, that I usually used to watch on WMP are upside down, inverted... Is that normal?? I still can watch it on VLP PLayer...
TNX

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When i have problems i just install the Klite mega codec pack, it probably has every video codec known to man as well as audio codecs, comes with media player classic(excpetional little player) and Banshee but i dont use it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could also look at running G Spot to check if you have the required codec, or if existing codecs are damaged etc

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
That upside down is happenin bcoz of codecs conflict . Uninstall the previously installed codecs .

Then Download K-LIte Mega Codec pack