Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Fan + Heatsink

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i want to get rid of my stock heatsink + fan.. its so loud its not even funny. any suggested brand of cpu fan + heatsink? my pricerange is around 50$ ish. i want something quiet, and does a nice job of cooling.. and one more question, how you suppose to remove the stock heatsink and fan? what things do i need to install retail heatsink + fan?

thanks

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
zalman is very good for silent cooling solutions
CNPS9500 is a great cooler made by zalman it's huge, quiet and very very cool. I have had great experiences with zalman coolers. Removal of heatsink and fan is pretty straight forward. U unclip the rentions for the heatsink and fan, remove them. The important part is cleaning ur core, use isopropyl alcohol 99% and a cotton swab to clean the top of ur core to remove all residues of the old thermal paste. Buy a tube of arctic silver 5 and apply it to the top of the core and mount the new heatsink and fan.

just make sure you check the compatability of the cpu cooler before u buy it.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What processor do you have?

Intel or AMD?

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i have amd 64 3000+ 700 something socket lol

i checked out the CNPS9500, its way too much for me.. maybe something around 50$ usd? or below. cuz i just want something thats quiet.

i found something little cheaper, CNPS7700 from zalman. is it a ok? does it do the job?

Edited by silencer.dot, 02 November 2006 - 08:52 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
That might be less noisy, BUT JUST LOOK AT IT! IT'S HUGE! The newest in cooling is water cooling. I have a Kingwin cooling system and I am happy as I have ever been.

Edited by SOORENA, 03 November 2006 - 08:42 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
No doubt about it - its big but it also is very quiet and does an excellent job. You may want to investigate the Zahlman's with 92mm fans - they are a bit smaller and as far as air is concerned, its tough to beat Zahlman. If you do go with this monster, make sure it will fit before you buy it.

:whistling:

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ur taking about the CNPS9500 right :whistling:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
No, sorry - I was thnking about that monster with the 120mm fan - the CNPS9500 is the one that stands up and its a great cooler. I have an earlier version of that with a blue led fan on an FX57 - works great and does just what its supposed to.

:whistling:

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
but its just too much for me. is there any cheaper ones from zalman or others?

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i got my 9500 for 50 cdn... you should just shop around i am sure you can find one for a cheap price. the 7700 is very capable but it requires a compataible mobo.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
im thinking of getting this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118004

i looked into my computer store, and lucky they sell it for 59.99, but i read reviews from newegg that its REALLY heavy and that its loud =S, can my mobo support the weight of cnps9500?

my mobo is Asus K8V-X

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
it's heavy... yes. but loud? no...... no way it's loud. It really depends on the rest of ur system. If you have stock cooling for ur gfx card and case than you won't be able to hear the fan at all. Zalmans are known for their silent operation it's the main reason why ppl get them. As to the weight, it's a good question. If your computer sits on ur desk than yes it can support the weight no problem. But if ur computer is a lan gaming rig that get's moved around a lot than you should be very careful. it's very secure on the mobo so you shouldn't have too many problems.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
acually my computer sits on the floor with some support , and i bought a new case too. does it matter where its position? but im afraid that the cnps9500 would like rip part of the mobo...

so it WONT break or fall or whatever? just making sure XD.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
it will be like winning the lottery