Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which linux system

• Please log in to reply

nursejess

nursejess

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am new to linux and need a graphic interface since i do not know command line. We have fedora on my husbands machine and it is ok but what linux would you recommend?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
A lot depends on you hardware and what you want to do with your system. Fedora Core 6 looks nice and is quite complete for about anything you might want. I haven't tested a Red Hat distro in about a year but this one may earn a spot on one of my boxes :whistling: .

Ubuntu is popular but I prefer SimplyMepis for my day to day. It's Ubuntu core is very stable and with the ease of the installer I think it is ideal for new users. The Ubuntu package repositories have most anything you could ever need to add to your system. I also prefer KDE to Gnome so I'm prejudice to distos with the KDE desktop and a Debian base.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is a new fedora just out, core6 if he doesn't have that it came out 19th of last month.

I like vanilla ubuntu personally the new 6.10 release i especially like using the enlightenment window manager.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give puppy linux a try...you burn a ISO CD and boot up and it loads and runs totally in ram....you can install optional apps with pupget....( I installed firefrox )...and when you are done you can save the changes back to the CD or you dont have to save anything and it doesn't install anything on the computer...I put puppy on a CD..but you can also put it on a DVD...does not need to be RW media...it will treat the CD-R and DVD-R like multi session media...when you shut down the computer everything is gone ...I have been playing on some really old slow computers and its fast on the old clunkers...will run on as little as 128 M ram ....really good for beginners

Edited by happyrck, 02 November 2006 - 08:06 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not enitrely sure about that, the lightweight linux distros strip alot of the extras out that can make it easier for beginers and ive never had one where it wasnt almost essential to use the command line.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
In my opinion Ubuntu and SuSe are the best distros for those new to Linux. Both have excellent package managers that allow you to automatically install some of the most popular software.

However, I think a limited knowledge of command line will be necessary in pretty much any distro if you plan to do anything but the most basic stuff. Don't worry, it's not nearly as intimidating as it seems, there are step by step tutorials all over the web and we can help you with any specific questions.

nursejess

nursejess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks so much guys. for the time being i have fedora 5 on my machine since it is what we had and the one i know how to play with. does anyone know of a printer that is compatible with that? we have two different lexmark models and neither one of them work

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
check out this and see if you can find your drivers. For the most part HP supplies the most support for Linux.