Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

overwrite the MBR

• Please log in to reply

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just deleted my linux partitions but the GRUB boot loader is still in the MBR. I need to overwrite it somehow with the original. I know fixmbr should work but i cant get into the recovery console as i dont have a disk. i mannaged to boot into windows through the command line of the GRUB boot loader but i still dont want to have to go though that every time. I thought that now that im in windows i might be able to run the FIXMBR somehow through the command interface, but it doesnt want to work. How do i get into the recovery console once im booted, is it possible?

thanks

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Try downloading and using the boot up floppies - you can download the utility which creates a 6 disk setup for XP, just choose the version which is correct for your machine - versions for Home and pro sp1 and sp2 are available from - Microsoft XP Setup Disk - this should allow you to boot to a recovery console, just make sure that you have 6 disk ready and formatted before running the utility

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have a regular Microsoft XP CD you can also fix the mbr from the recovery console. Usually recovery cd's will not work if the recovery CD is just accessing a hidden partition on the hard drive.

Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password.
Enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the input prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer.

A caveat here is by using the recovery console you can make linux partitions unuseable. So you will need a live linux CD to repartition the unuseable space.

A second caveat is explained in this microsoft article.

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;308402

THE FINAL FIX.

Its also the easist if you have a floppy drive in your computer. download and make a Win 98 boot floppy, then run it on the computer. At the prompt type in "fdisk /mbr" without the quotes, pop out the floppy disk, then type in exit at the prompt, and hit the enter key. The computer should restart into windows.

SRX660