Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot problem

• Please log in to reply

coop23

coop23

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have a problem with my computer..it froze today and had to manually shut it down and when i turned it back on nothing happend..computer wouldn't boot..fans go on then there 1 long beep for a couple seconds it stops then does it again.. does this mean there a problem witht he motherboard?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is a guide to beep codes. http://www.geekstogo...es-t106845.html
What you describe sounds like a memory (RAM) problem. If you have multiple sticks, try just one at a time.

coop23

coop23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
doesn't even get to the boot process. monitor doesn't fully tunr on..hear fans going and then does a continous beep for a few seconds stops still not booting then 1 continous beep again..doesn't get to the bios beep or for the hard drive to start the boot process..screens are blank and no error messages across screen.. i thought ram problem but nothing..nothing loose on motherboard..only thing i can think of next is problem with motherboard..can any one help?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could remove all of the ram, then try to boot. If you don't hear a beep the motherboard is probably bad. That long beep you first described sounds like a memory problem. How many ram sticks do you have installed? Have you tried installing only one at a time? When you post back, include your full system specs as this will better enable those who want to try to help you.

coop23

coop23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
have a compaq presario s3300nx windows xp...2600+ AMDathlon..1gb ram..120gb hard drive..nvidia geforce video card

tried removing ram tonight and still have same problem...same beeps and doesn't startup up fans are the only thing working...runs for a a min long continous beep then repeats..