Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CoD2 FPS

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I found the game play was much smoother with fps capped at 125. There was less stuttering and lag related issues.

Advertisements

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well obviously. When you do the /com_maxfps 1000, that only makes it so it will run at a variable fps (unless you actually do get 1000fps, wow). I set a bind for maxfps 120 and 1000 just for the low gravity servers that I often play on (it will make you jump higher and farther). For the least lag, you should type /cg_drawfps 1 and see what it is when you usually play. Then set it at that. If you get at least 500fps normally, you don't want to underachieve. :whistling: <What is that supposed to be?

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
If your computer can reach an FPS on cod2 of 333 or above constantly then set is to /com_maxfps 333 in console or config, this is one of the "FPS numbers" that will give you better gameplay and allow farther jumps.

And yes setting it to 125 maxfps is very smooth.. thas what i set mine to

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Even running the latest cpu and latest gfx cards in sli you will be hard pressed to actually get 1000fps. High fps doesn't mean squat unless you only play lan or single player games. When you run the cg_drawfps 1 what is a key tell is the high/low difference. I have an nvidia 7800gtx and when playing I notice that this range would bounce anywhere from 16fps to 500pfs. Higher fps occurs on stock maps of course, but I also run a lot of custom maps on my server. One thing is very apparent. WHen you have your max fps set high all you see is lag. This is evidenced by graphics tearing, artifacts, choppyness, and players "skipping" around. This all equates to video lag.

with cod2 max fps isn't desireable. the eye stops percieving a difference between 125 and 500 fps. What you do notice is the other issues or problems. This is what Morpheus and I have been saying. Not only does it not equate, but the gameplay experience really suffers.

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Wow dude you just said everything im tryin to say a lot clearer..

yea i totally agree with you

by the way getting 1000fps on cod2 is basically impossible even with dual graphics cards that are the latest ones.. even with these you must have it set on dx7 and have at least 2 gigz of ram im guessing.. tha point??

THERE IS NONE

anything past 333 (if you can get there) doesnt make any difference and all it does is harm yor gameplay by allowing u not to jump as far.

So for all you looking for the "perfect fps in cod2" you should definetly be setting it to 125 or 333.

anybody who has any other questions about cod2 fps feel free to post!

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
If anyone wants a good config then send me a msg on xfire @ LiLBG5

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I actually find the http://www.tweakguides.com/COD2_1.html to be very good and imformative.

Sometimes the suggestions may not take or stay. If that happens then you need to go under your cod2 profile and make the changes tot he config file there.

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes, that site is a very good site for noobs who want to make a config, but be careful... DO NOT put a cmd in your config just because a site tells you "its good".. make sure you know exactly what the cmd does before entering it into your config.

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, I have a good config. I can get about 400fps when I look at the sky and everything looks really nice.
Of course, I have a Sapphire Radeon x1800xt, but don't let it bother you. By the way, One thing that affects my FPS alot is taking out unmatching ram and typing /com_hunkmegs (half of your ram, i.e. /com_hunkmegs 256 if you have 512mb). Another thing is the /sv_framerate_smoothing [0, 1]. You should keep it at 1 because it will supposedly smooth them. Although, on some PC's it makes not difference.

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
yep yep
tha last thing is true.
But, you actually should keep your /hunkmegs at half of your total RAM

Advertisements