Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

registry permission problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

eugkelly

eugkelly

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am cleaning a computer for a fellow co-worker whos' children have infected thier home computer so bad, I don't know if I'll iver get it cleaned completely. I've run Adaware, HijackThis, Spybot S&D (only after removing the trouble-maker that kept closing it out), and other tools after researching files on your site and others. I just recently figured out how to get the Microsoft AntiSpyware Utility installed (it couldn't access the registry). Well there's still something hiding somewhere because the Microsoft Util got stuck on one registry key.

All the users are setup as admins which is not too good of an idea probably since I cleaned off 196 viruses and over 700 spyware. To me it looks like there is something that has restricted permissions in the registry not even allowing the admin account in safe mode to access everything. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the problems with the registry?

eugkelly

Advertisements

eugkelly

eugkelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I realized I forgot to mention that it is running SP1 and I haven't been able to use windows update because the update software doesn't finish loading. That also goes for running scans from trendmicro and pandasoftware, or any installer using activeX controlers.

I have now tried reseting the registry permissions for administrators as I did in order to get Windows AntiSpyware installed (which had been on the local machine section) only this time I performed it on the section that contained the file I was denied access to, hkey_classes_root. Now it won't finish starting up including under safe mode.

I can still work with most of the registry (haven't found the hkey_classes_root that macthes with what I had been working on) using a bartpe disk that I have been building.

Another note is that I had tried to connect the HD to another machine to backup data but it would crash the other computer at the login screen.

Closed Topic
Duplcate Post
If you have not resolved this issue please start a new topic,
Thanks
Don