Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Install SP2

• Please log in to reply

ptt_folks

ptt_folks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well ,,, I always encourage my friends to install SP2 for security reason

But some of them told me they can't install that even they got the complete installation file

the installation will stop or can't even start

I remembered some malware can write some specific value to registry

which can stop user from upgrading SP2

anyone know how to verify this ?

or is there other possible reasons why they can't do so ?

Thanks for answering :whistling:

Advertisements

Jaysun

Jaysun

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well ,,, I always encourage my friends to install SP2 for security reason

But some of them told me they can't install that even they got the complete installation file

the installation will stop or can't even start

I remembered some malware can write some specific value to registry

which can stop user from upgrading SP2

anyone know how to verify this ?

or is there other possible reasons why they can't do so ?

Thanks for answering :whistling:

Some newer versions of Win XP already have the update. Others could be updated already. I haven't heard of one not taking the update. Have them dump temp files and cookies and try again.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
My apologies, if I offend anyone, but until someone can prove to me that XP-SP2 is REALLY NECESSARY...I don't want it on my computer.

I have fought with XP-SP2 since it has been available. Nothing but problems since. Once I unloaded it, and only allowed the defaulted updates to be on my drive, I have had no problems. Whether those updates are any good without the SP2 files is debatable.

Software loads better, and what I have does not disappear or act up.

I figure until, Microsoft and all other 3rd party software developers and peddlars come to some agreement on how each is going to fare in the environs of the other, I don't need the head-aches.

Unless I am going on the naughty sites, why do I need to worry about loading SP2 or any updates, for that matter.

My anti-virus, malware, etc. software addons have stood me in good stead with out it.

And I am a great favourer of re-formatting...much to the chagrin of my fellow geeksters. Most material is read off discs if needed.

Edited by b1caez01, 02 November 2006 - 07:16 PM.

ptt_folks

ptt_folks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
but Microsoft had recently ended the support for SP1

so I think it's better to use SP2

otherwise you can't get some critical fixes

that's the point I want my friends to upgrade to SP2 :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I have nothing but respect for the geekstogo staff...they are excellent...but we will have to agree to disagree. It is a matter of philosophy, I am afraid...and choice.

I suggest that you follow their suggestions fully.

[P.S. it won't be long before they dump SP2 for VISTA, so get ready to go that route some day soon...I give it a year before a non-business oriented version comes out for us peons.]

That being said, I ask myself...why?...with every upgrade and update. Whose interests are best being served in these cases? The vast majority of non-business oriented folks use their computers to play with or manage music and images.

Microsoft focuses its energies on meeting the needs of its business clients, not us normal folks. If they did, pay attention to us, then we would not have such a time with the thing. Vandals are after Microsoft because of its business orientation, not because you and I play with music and images...and the odd word processing program. We are small potatoes in the great scheme of things. Whose going to get a thrill by infecting my text files...what does it accomplish...nada!

Get a good basic program structure, one OS, one anti-virus, one anti-malware, one word processor, one audio program, one image program, etc. ...and get the best that you can find. keep your computer clean and well organized...and mind your own business, ...and you'll be all-right!

Software companies FEED on our paranoia and insecurities...they are making a fortune off us. And MS is leading the pack!

TTFN... :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 03 November 2006 - 01:04 AM.

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
b1caez01: Thanks for your insight as to why you don't want SP2 on your computer. :) No .... I'm not a shill for MS! :blink: Don't even use IE except to get MS updates and those few sites who "demand" the use of IE. I feel your "position" deserves it's own thread. (Thats just my opinion.)

ptt_folks: Most folks (from what I understand) can't download SP2 because their system is not "clean" --- they haven't gotten rid of Cookies and Temp files .... they haven't emptied their Recycle Bins .... they haven't scanned for Virus/Spyware (maybe haven't even been using updated Anti-Sypware/Anti-Virus programs). My first suggestion would be for them to get the CD from Microsoft .... lots of stores (Staples/Office Max, etc.) were giving them away for free recently ... don't know if that is still happening or not. If not ... one of their friends may have one .... the SP2 CD from Microsoft can be used over and over. I'm sure someone here can give you the address to obtain the CD from Microsoft. If not ... just go to Google and type in "MS SP2 CD" (without the quote marks) ----

Then make sure their system is clean . ( I'd suggest they update all Anti-Malware programs ... update their Anti-virus program . Dump their Temp files and Cookies .... and empty their Recycle Bin. Then ------ run 2 Virus Scans ... and 3 Malware Scans), pop in their SP2 CD ----- and 9 out of 10 times .... it is a go!

How do I know this? I've had the MS CD since 2004 ---- was too scared to even try it until 8 days ago ---- I spent a few hours doing the "emptying files"/"scanning routine" ---- I have to admit that when I put that SP2 CD in ... I had sweat rings to my waist! :help: It worked on my PC ... it worked on my laptop .... but the only reason it worked (in my view) was because I dumped all the garbage on both machines .... I scanned (for virus/malware ---- with updated programs) on both machines.

OMG! I'm preaching! End of sermon. (Can I hear an amen?) :whistling:

ptt_folks

ptt_folks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
They got a "update.inf" error

I'll try to ask them to do the steps you mentioned

clean TEMP,Cookie,Recycle Bin

And Do a Virus Scan

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Also -- they *must* do anti-malware scans! (Some free ones are Ewido/Spybot Search and Destroy/ASquared/, etc.) They can Google for more information. There are tons of free programs out there. Some good ... some not so good.

They might want to Google the "update.inf" error message they are receiving.

BTW: If they have a pirated edition of MS ......... there is nothing they can do to update to SP2. (Except purchase a legitimate copy.)

Good luck! :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I totally agree with my collegues...clean and pure is the only way to go.

May I also add...

Windows is a hard task mistress ...she like things put in certain places for her convenience and gets really ticked off if you don't give into her well thought out reasoning [sound familiar? if so, go with the imagery] ...especially, when you don't put things back where they belong ...she gets quite confused and stomps off in a huff... There's just no talking to her when she gets into one of her snits!

e.g. when downloading and installing stuff ...let Windows decide where it wants to put it, don't be like me and force the issue of putting it where I want it to go...

I live in Explorer, not on my desktop. I have a rather elegant tree, if I do say so myself. It is in constant flux. ...that is my obsessiveness talking ...but if you are not too experienced, go with the flow and don't fight it ...you will be happier, your computer will be happier, for it...

Go overboard with your maintenance, at first, until you get a feel for what needs to be done and when...

Use nothing but the best software you can afford...free when and where available. Often there are 100 variations of the same thing out there, and the only difference among them is the name they each go by. So, don't get duped into having 10 anti-malware progs, when they are all doing the same thing ...especially, when MS offers two good free versions at their URL:

1. Malicious Software Removal Tool :blink:
2. MS Windows Defender :help:

...and AVG offers an excellent free anti-virus prog. Personally, I have AVG installed, but don't use it. I use it for its recovery disks only...but that is because I have always used PC-cillin since I first started with computers, about 10 yrs ago.... :whistling: And I am not a fan of NORTON...

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 01:44 AM.