Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

DPredator73

DPredator73

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, i have an 80 GIG SATA HD on an external NexStar 3, which is connected to my PC thru USB. It worked fine for awhile, and i used it as storage for my TV shows and DVD images. And i would only turn on my external HD when i was using it. Then one day i turn it on and windows detects a removable disk, but when i go to my computer, it would show the D: (my external), when i select it, the window stalls and eventually crashes or give me a message that my drive has not been formatted. Which is weird cause i've been using it for awhile. Now when i turn it on, it flickers from being detected to being undetected like every 2 minutes. I would like to be able to use my HD and try to salvage my files. I got frustrated and decided to format it, but during the formatting it got an error and just said that is could not be formatted.

Any help would be great.

Edited by DPredator73, 06 November 2006 - 07:36 AM.

Advertisements

DPredator73

DPredator73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
bump

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I can understand your frustration, but please understand that trying to format the drive is NOT the thing to do if you want to recover those files. Can you remove the drive from the enclosure and install it as an internal drive? If you can do that, it may be possible to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive. If you can't do that, you could try running the diagnostics on it as is. You will find links to most hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics at http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 See the sticky post at the top of the forum.

You could also try Spinrite6 at http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Edited by austin_o, 06 November 2006 - 08:16 AM.