Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE7 Security Vulnerabilities

• Please log in to reply

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
This may have been posted before, and if so here it is again.

1. [SA22542] Internet Explorer 7 Popup Address Bar Spoofing Weakness
2. [SA22477] Internet Explorer 7 "mhtml:" Redirection Information
Disclosure
3. [SA22628] Internet Explorer 7 Window Injection Vulnerability

http://secunia.com/advisories/22628/

Advertisements

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
"

Microsoft branded reports of the first IE7 bug as "technically inaccurate". It said the security bug Secunia refers to, which Redmond has under investigation, involves Outlook Express and not Internet Explorer.

"The issue concerned in these reports is not in Internet Explorer 7 (or any other version) at all. Rather, it is in a different Windows component, specifically a component in Outlook Express," writes Microsoft staffer Christopher Budd on MS's official security response weblog.

Budd adds that Microsoft has received no reports of the misuse of the vulnerability in attacks against its customers.

Secunia maintains it was right to describe IE7 as vulnerable to the security bug it highlighted. It claims Microsoft is being disingenuous in claiming otherwise.

"
:whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Switch to NETSCAPE 8.1 not the newest one...and save yourself a lot of aggrevation...it even has a free e-mail funtion and is a lot easier to use then IE...any version... and it is much faster, at least on my system it is...

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Switch to NETSCAPE 8.1 not the newest one...and save yourself a lot of aggrevation...it even has a free e-mail funtion and is a lot easier to use then IE...any version... and it is much faster, at least on my system it is...

Yeah, I use Netscape, Firefox 2, and Opera. Problem is MS is going to force IE7 down our throats as a "critical" update in November's updates.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
This assumes that "we" want to bother with updates. I am a rebel...I don't use SP2, and only use updates for:

1. MS Malicious Software Tool
2. Windows Defender

The rest of it is just a cover up for Window's bugs and weaknesses...and why should I have to be inconvenienced by MS's incompetence, more than I have to be?

I may rue the day, but 3rd party software has stood me in good stead so far... :whistling: And I keep loads of burned backup files on disks. I'm a whiz at reformatting :)

I have IE7 set up but, it is in the background only, for emergency use, and not updated. :blink:

MS announcement that it has sucked up NOVELL'S LINUX is bad karma! The dark force is fast approaching from the netherworlds... :help:

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 02:43 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You don't have to upgrade to IE7- turn off auto updates.

We don't "officially" recommend going without SP2. Using other browser software is fine, but it could be a problem to not have IE updated (protected), because IE is an integral part of the Operating System. Skip IE7 if you want, but do install SP2 for the numerous other security issues it addresses in XP.
Johanna

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I agree with johanna, install SP2, and modify Automatic updates to download but ask YOU when to install them, that's the way i have it and it hasn't caused trouble, it works like a charm and I get to choose which updates to install :whistling: .

Viva la resistance!!!!!

-OCM770-

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Ah, going ethnic on us... :blink: ¡Tendremos que aprender acordar discrepar! :whistling: viva la resistencia por muy anos y vive de largo la diferencia

Edited by b1caez01, 05 November 2006 - 03:53 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Oye sabes español? por que no lo habias dicho? Do you speak spanish?

Viva la Resistance!!!!

-OCM770-

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Nope! Not por trente anos ;( ...en universidad Loooong time ago.

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Parlez-vous fried eggs?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
hmmm... can i speak french with fried eggs? interesting, i shall learn or die trying!!!

Viva la Resistance!!!!!

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 07 November 2006 - 03:57 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
the big kahuna is watching, we'd better get back on track...

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, yes thats right, lets get straight to the point:

Get Firefox, dump IE, no exceptions or buts.

and remember a world without IE is a better world :whistling:

-OCM770-

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'm glad you are satisfied with Firefox, and I hope you continue to be, but your preference is based on opinion, not fact. Firefox is not any more secure, stable or better performing than IE, and will accumulate just as many security issues as its popularity grows. It will not replace IE, because IE is an integral part of the Windows OS, and we will continue to (enthusiastically) provide support for it. 'nuff said.
Johanna