Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor only shows lots of colored lines

• Please log in to reply

ash7729

ash7729

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I turned on my computer and the entire monitor had tiny black lines, then they all changed to tiny colored lines, with about half a centimeter worth of my desktop showing on the left side. I have turned the computer off and on and I still get the same problem.

I have a Windows XP operating system and a somewhat new NVIDIA video card.

Any suggestions on what is wrong or how to fix it? Are all of my files ok? I don't have another monitor to hook onto it so I can't tell if its just the monitor or not....

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually this is a graphics card gone bad. It might be just corrupted graphics drivers but usually it is NOT. First reseat the card in its slot and see if that is the problem. If that does not fix it i would try another video card. Seldom is it the monitor that is bad but it is possible.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 02 November 2006 - 12:05 PM.

ash7729

ash7729

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I hooked up the monitor to my laptop and I had the same problem. This would mean it is a problem with the monitor and not my video card. Any idea what could have happened to the monitor so suddenly? The monitor is about 5 years old, but its never given me a problem. It is a Hitachi 15" LCD. Is this usually the life of a monitor?? Is there anything I can do to fix it?