Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

seafood06

seafood06

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a hp with xp. Yesterday i was surfing on computer and a message came up a virus, it had the name of it but i don't remember the name. I ran spysweep and i though all was fine. When i tryed to turn computer back on it will not boot up. I would like to know how i can bypass this and get computer running so i can run software to try and repair. But if someone has a better idea, please let me know. Do you have enough information to help me.
Thanks,

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Now i cann't get the computer to turn on. I have unpluged it to see if i can get it to reset. Does anyone know what i can do?