Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Software questions.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm new to all of this, but did manage to install a new hard drive and clean install the os. XP Pro w/SP2.
But of course I messed it up and now have about 50 G. that I can't use due to the automatic partioning of the Seagate hard drive software.
I'm looking for an easy to use software that I can use to reclaim my lost disc space.
Also, need easy to use software for creating back ups of my files and to make cd copies of my os etc so that I can use it as a boot disc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is 2 different methods to reclaim partition space. The first method involves buying the Partition Magic program for around $60 and use it to recombine partitions back together. It does work but to me is a very expensive method to do this, especially if you only need the program one time in your life.

The second method is to use a "LIVE" linux CD to reformat the partition that you have lost back into a format that windows can use. This does not recombine partitions but does make the space useable. I like this method because the cost is of burning a linux ISO to a cd and thats it. Read this website carefully and it tells you how to use SIMPLY MEPIS 3.3 to reclaim the lost partition space using Q-parted.

http://www.help2go.c...formatting.html

I have used a Knoppix Live CD to do this also.

http://simon.incutio.../repartitioning

If you have any more questions, please ask, and i'll see if i can come up with the answers.

SRX660

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
With XP up and running, you can partition and format 'unallocated' space from Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Disk Management. It will be a separate partition from the system partition, of course, but no need to get involved with any third-party software like a Linux live CD, or any of that other stuff.

Or, still without the need for any other software, if you really want to reclaim that 50Gb but don't want it to be a separate partition, boot from the XP CD,
delete the existing system partition (C:), then re-install Windows on to the 'unallocated space' which should automatically include the space you lost before.
Windows XP setup will automatically partition and format the total space as one partition before installing itself. You should have done that instead of using the Seagate utility supplied with the disk. Seagate supplies that for those still using an old version of DOS-based Windows where partitioning is more like a black art.

If you don't fancy re-installing Windows (understandable since Product Activation was foisted upon us) then, as SRX660 rightly says, Partition Magic can 'merge' the 50Gb with the existing C: drive without breaking Windows, plus you can run it within Windows using a wizard-driven interface to indicate what you require it to do.

Edited by pip22, 02 November 2006 - 12:27 PM.

Jaysun

Jaysun

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

With XP up and running, you can partition and format 'unallocated' space from Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Disk Management. It will be a separate partition from the system partition, of course, but no need to get involved with any third-party software like a Linux live CD, or any of that other stuff.

Or, still without the need for any other software, if you really want to reclaim that 50Gb but don't want it to be a separate partition, boot from the XP CD,
delete the existing system partition (C:), then re-install Windows on to the 'unallocated space' which should automatically include the space you lost before.
Windows XP setup will automatically partition and format the total space as one partition before installing itself. You should have done that instead of using the Seagate utility supplied with the disk. Seagate supplies that for those still using an old version of DOS-based Windows where partitioning is more like a black art.

If you don't fancy re-installing Windows (understandable since Product Activation was foisted upon us) then, as SRX660 rightly says, Partition Magic can 'merge' the 50Gb with the existing C: drive without breaking Windows, plus you can run it within Windows using a wizard-driven interface to indicate what you require it to do.

Great answer and awesome instruction. I used this a couple months ago.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for getting back to me.
At least now I have some directions to go in.
But nobody answered the second part of the question.
I'm looking for an easy to use back up application and an easy to use software to
make bootabd boot from it.
Thanks,
J.le discs-copy my operating system a

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK-I didn't see my errors.
I also want to be able to back up files to cd and create bootable discs with copies of my os.
Thanks,
J.