Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need to take possession of files in winxp

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I have a laptop that no longer works. I want to recover some documents and pictures off the old hard drive. I have a pcmcia card that lets me hook up the old hard drive as an external to another laptop, however the files are not accessible. I've tried to create an account that has the old user name and password but it still will not let me access those files. Can windows xp home take possession of files? I looked but could not find a way to do that with home. I'vd done it with desktop computers by connecting them to a machine running server 2003 but I don't find those settings on home.

Oh and no I dont' have a way to connect that to the server machine at the moment.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you tried logging on to Windows using the system's 'Administrator' account. It will often let you perform some actions which even a user account with admin priveleges can't do. This is hidden in XP Home, but it should be on the Welcome screen if you boot in Safe Mode I think.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Have you tried logging on to Windows using the system's 'Administrator' account. It will often let you perform some actions which even a user account with admin priveleges can't do. This is hidden in XP Home, but it should be on the Welcome screen if you boot in Safe Mode I think.

looks like that might work.... I have a laptop to ide adaptor on the way ( I finally found one locally and have someone on the way with it) so I'll file this away for future reference. ( My 2003 machine has software for doing this so as long as I can use that I will . )

thanks again for the information