Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vga video controller

• Please log in to reply

navyvic

navyvic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok so yesterday i uninstalled a couple of things, messenger and an old game. Then everything went huge and i changed the resolution in settings. Now the screen is kinda jumpy and it's telling me it's found new hardware that it can't install, VGA video controller. DO i need to go and find an update or something? Any help would be appreciated, i'm so crap with computers.
Thanks
Victoria.
Acer Aspire 3500

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Or

Right click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

navyvic

navyvic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,
Yeah there's both a ? and a ! next to video controller vga compatible.

Does that signify doom and gloom then?

Thanks for your reply! Victoria.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just signifies that something's gone wrong with your video card...did the "new hardware" detection tell you a make and model/ do you know what make and model video card you have?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.acerpanam...r...s=&areaid=7 actually i take that back...if you've got the standard aspire this should be your driver...just download that...unzip it and run it to reinstall the driver

navyvic

navyvic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, now i must be really annoying to someone like you but i've downloaded it but i'm not sure what to do, unzip it? huh? how?
It's brought up a screen i've never seen before with add, extract to, test, view etc.
Also why does it say i can only use it for 40 days? will it stop working after that?

I apologize for being such a novice and i do appreciate all your help!

Victoria.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehehe...the "40 days" thing is probably whatever program you have installed to extract zipped files not the driver itself

you'll want to extract the folder that is in that zip file to your C: drive once you do that...go to where you extracted the folder and open it up (the folder should be called "drivers") you have to go through one or two more folders...but eventually you'll get to a folder called VGA...once in there you'll see a file called setup...double click that and follow the instructions

navyvic

navyvic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok there's a setup.boot, setup (installshield launcher), setup.iss, setuppDLL, setup INX file, setupres, and setup config settings.

which one?

I think i'm the geek, hehe @ 40 days

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
should be a setup.exe (probably the install sheild launcher)

navyvic

navyvic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok did that, it brought up a cool pic of a robot and said it was installing something and now everything vanished with no change.