Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

& Then there was silence..

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.. I was doing my useual thing. had just sat down at my PC. started up my Instant messenger. got a voice connection to my buddy & was talking to him. Then as normal i started the online game i play. But as soon as the starting screen launched i lost all audio. i coulddnt hear my friend, the game, nothing. So I looked at my PC Audio settings everything looks fine. So i reinstaled the sound drivers still nothing. I dont know what else to do. Please help me befor i freak out & reformat my drive.

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Don't Format Your Drive! Formatting your drive should always be the last resort.

The only possiblities I think are that you are having trouble with your sound card, your speakers, or the drivers.

I hate to say this, but working in IT you learn to do it always....start with the simple stuff. Make sure all of your connections are good - plugs are connected to back of speakers, plugs connected to back of PC, etc.

Somewhere, depending on what speakers you have, you'll usually find a small LED light telling you that the speakers have power and are turned on. Make sure this LED is illuminated.

Move some of the wires around, it is possible you have a short in one of the cables. Turn on a music CD or something and jiggle the cables around a bit and see what happens. Maybe you bumped a shorted wire and that killed your audio.

Make sure the volume settings within Windows are still turned on and up.

If none of that works for you, you'll need to start with a process of elimination. You are having trouble with your speakers, your sound card, or software.

Put your speakers on someone elses PC and see if they give you sound. If so, you can eliminate the speakers. Then try your sound card on another PC. Maybe you have a buddy who will let you put your sound card in his/her pc to test your sound problem. If you get sound on your buddy's computer, then it isn't the sound card either. The last thing would be a problem with some software. Think about what software you were running at the time and start from there.

Give us some more information....programs you were running, speaker system you have, sound card, operating system, etc.

Hope this helps so far. Keep us posted.