Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting ram timings

• Please log in to reply

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok, I have this ram right here:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145575
it says that its timings are suposed to be 2-3-3-6.
But, it isn't set to that in my bios.
my BIOS says:
Tcl: 3, Trcd: 3, Tras: 8, Trp:3

CPU-Z says:
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Tras 8

All I'm wondering is in my timings, 2-3-3-6 what is the 6?
Is it Tras or Trp? or what?

I just want my ram to run at what its suposed to, and I know its not running to its value right now.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there is way to much info to try and explain...go here for a good explanation of memory and timings...

http://www.anandtech...aspx?i=2223&p=5

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
tras obviously, they are fine you dont always want them too low but you can always set them manually.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes setting them manually is the right way to go...then benchmark the memory...try lots of settings and benchmark them ...keep logs for comparison...sometimes looseing them will actually show a speed increase...its time consuming and the results are only good for the computer your doing it on...if there is a pattern I haven't seen one yet

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There was also an issue with late series motherboards that caused memory to downclock and change timings when you had 4 sticks in the machine. It's generally solved by a BIOS update.