Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD

• Please log in to reply

FBR

FBR

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey im new, i searched the forums but i couldnt find anything to help me so here goes.

Ok so heres my story, i was planning on upgrading my PC as it was getting kind of slow. So i took it to PC World for its healthcheck and to get my upgrades installed for free. Two weeks later i find out my PC wont switch on and PC World tells me my motherboard and power supply is frakked. And is going to cost about £200 to fix, and on top of that is the cost of my upgrades...hefty price. So i hyad a look at their towers and found a a decent one at a decent price. They tried to put my old hard drive in as a slave drive but it wouldnt work. So i get an enclosure for my HDD so i can transfer all my stuff onto my new drive then format my old HDD and use it for storage. I get home and discover it wont let me into my folder in the documents and settings. Which is where all my videos and college work is. It just tells me access denied. I can get into my mums folder mind you. I'm guessing that this is due to when the HDD was on my PC i used a password to log on to my PC...but then i could be wrong. (side note i cant get my new pc to detect the drivers on my PCI installation CD...not having a good day lolz)

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix my problem?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PC World was quite possibly the worst place you could have took it.

No way should it have cost you £200 to get that fixed. Any decent small computer shop should have been able to do it for under £100, assuming it was just a problem with the board and power supply. You didn't need an entire new computer just for that.

Putting a drive in as slave is so easy to do, its a case of moving one jumper and plugging it in. The fact that PC World couldn't even do this says a lot about them and you didn't even need an enclosure in the first place.

To get your old stuff back, reboot into Safe Mode (reboot the computer, keep pressing F8, select Safe Mode from the menu that comes up).

Log into the Administrator account and go into x:\Documents and Settings, where x is the drive letter of your external drive. Right-click on your folder, go to Properties -> Security -> Advanced.

On the Owner tab is a box at the bottom that says "replace owner on subcontainers and objects", tick this. Select "Adminstrator" as the name, then click OK. Click Yes to replace all permissions.

When done, OK back out, reboot and everything should be there and accessible in normal XP mode.

As to the issue regarding PCI Installation CD - assuming you mean that the computer can't read the CD, take it back to PC World under your warranty.

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 November 2006 - 05:00 PM.

FBR

FBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Its not actually PC World that does the repairs and i would of be getting upgrades for my PC any way...as mine was running reeaaallly slow. And as for putting the old HDD in as a slave drive well i was watching them and it wouldnt work for some reason.

I know the price of a new motherboard would be fairly cheap, sadly i live in a small town and by way of PC repairs...well i wouldnt trust them...this town is full of idiots LoLz. But i mean i got a tower with twive the hard drive memory, 1GB of ram...i was currently using 256mb...and 256mb graphics card...mines was 64mb and a faster processor. I think if i had bought all that and paid to get it put in i would of cost more. Meh for me it wasnt really about money it was getting my hands on my college stuff before i started to fall behind in my classes

As for my PCI drivers i think the CD was just frakked, i got the drivers online using a laptop and now ive got it working. Just going to write that stuff down and do that and post my success/fail.

Thanx a lot for your help!!!

FBR

FBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well thank you soooo much!!!!! I don't know what i would of done if i couldnt get all my work back. And i quite like the idea of having the external as a back up. Im so frakking relieved...but now this means i actually have to finish the essays/reports that i had started... :whistling: I really do think im better off this way, I'm sure i would of been charged an arm and a leg for my upgrades and really i need both arms to hold a control pad!