Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable internet + INTERNET PHONE adapter problem

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have changed my isp today and have charter cable net service using a D-Link dcm-202 cable modem. After that i acquired VOIP phone service from sunrocket and got a Linkseys phone adapter and router model number :SPA2102-R

i followed all the instructions and connected my phone adapter. The phone is working so is the internet but the internet speed has decreased greatly and i dont know how to forwards ports all my ports are closed.
When i had just my modem all my ports were open and i never needed to forward them. Now after installin the phone adapter my ports are all closed and my games and programs are not working anymore. Pleez help!

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just setup a D-Link phone adapter for Vonage VOIP. About all I had to do was plug it into my router and I had a dial tone. No problems with Internet speed.

It sounds like your phone adapter is between your pc and the modem. By chance are you using USB for any of this? If so switch over to Ethernet. The only thing I can think of would be to take it all apart, power it all down and unplug everthing, wait five minutes or so, put it all together and power it up.

As far as opening ports, that's something I've never done. I would think that Sunrocket has tech support. I would call them and explain the problem to them.....

edit...looks like the phone adapter is also a router, so you would want to call tech support at Linksys.....

Edited by macten, 03 November 2006 - 10:00 PM.