Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I hold XP's folder options?

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:whistling: Almost every time that I now open folders in XP Window's Explorer, from the Explorer icon on my task bar, the option defaults to the Icon option for folders. I have always ever used the Details option. This began to go awry about a month ago...and is driving me nuts. Sometimes it holds for a few days, then it goes right back to defaulting to the Icons.

I have searched the registry for the location of the shell32 spot where I might change it, but there does not appear to be one. There are four or five locations for Folder Options, but nothing that looks like a setting entry that can be checked under both conditions to see which entry is the one causing the problem.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem and keep my "set" settings would be a big help.

I do not believe it has anything to do with any kind of malware...so unless you know 100% for sure that that is the problem, please, with respect, do not suggest that. I am built like a fortress, and I do not feel there is anyway that this would be the cause.

But, then, what do I know :help: but :blink:

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
What with 13 hits, others must be interested. Too bad a MS techie is not accessing this issue...I could sure use the help...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options>View
toggle "remember folder's view setting"
I use details, too, and sometimes I get pictures, too. Grrrr... Toggling that setting usually puts things back to right. I wish I knew why, too, so if you figure it out, let me know.
Johanna

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Been there, done that, at least once daily over the last month...that's my point!

After being on computers for the past 10 yrs, you'd think that I would have most probs just about figured out...but this is a new one...and very aggrevating, only because I am an obsessive "details" man!!!

It now, has become a mission based upon principle :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Been doing some research on the subject...MS has some info...but I am not sure if this will solve my particular problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812003

Time will tell... :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Well, was there anything helpful in the MS link? How's it going?
Johanna

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
No help...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have the same annoying problem occasionally. I am going to ask some others to look at this thread. Hang tight.
Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q307116

Folder Options

When you try to use options in Windows Explorer to apply the view setting of the current (selected) folder to all of the folders that are on your computer, Windows XP may not apply the setting to another folder that is open.

This behavior can occur if more than one instance (copy) of Windows Explorer is running on your computer.

To work around this behavior, follow these steps: Quit all instances of Windows Explorer, and then restart Windows Explorer so that only one instance of Windows Explorer is running. Make the necessary changes to the view setting.

Click Folder Options on the Tools menu, and then click Like Current Folder on the View tab. Quit Windows Explorer,
and then start Windows Explorer again.

From http://www.kellys-ko....com/xp_abc.htm under "folder"

(Thanks Wannabe1!)
Johanna

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Time will tell.

I went back to a clean boot, then opened c:\, set my viewing option, then applied that option to all folders upon their reopening. Shut off the computer. Going to have dinner now. Back later.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:) Did as suggested, but no deal.

It reverts to the icon imaging every time I reboot fresh :whistling:

I may as well not bother setting the parameters for all the use it is doing :blink:

If it were a bunch of anomolies, it may be sloughed off as malware, but nothing untoward is occuring anywhere else. No interference from other progs, nor any affects from recent installs...

Darn thing just won't hold its settings. :help:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi b1caez01...

Are you familiar with navigating in Registry Editor?

wannabe1

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
No problem... So, where in the registry is the little sucker hiding? :help:

I just read in another forum that XP suffers from dry rot over time... :blink:

It appears that over time it gets complacent and a bit lazy, and "rot" sets in. I don't know how true this is, but it sure fits the bill as to being a characteristic. :whistling:

I just found a reference to this problem...but is it SAFE? Don't know, but it is the only ref on the net to this type of problem that I've managed to find...

AND WHAT'S THE LOGIC BEHIND THE SUGGESTION?

http://www.onecomput...ervices_disable

Remembering Folder Settings

Added 12/21/02

If XP does not remember your folder settings, delete or rename the following registry keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

Edited by b1caez01, 20 November 2006 - 01:41 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

If XP does not remember your folder settings, delete or rename the following registry keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

Did you do this?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Nope...would not dare messing in the registry without first saving a backup copy of the registry and also getting feed back from someone who is trustworthy...assuming that the geeksters are trustworthy :) and who has done it before, or at least would be able to advise re: the reference deletions... :whistling:

Not knowing what these reg refs are all about, and what they are "in charge of" is bad karma for altering them!

I opened these items and they were chuck bang full of references...a bit too many for just a simple delete and every boo-boo will be healed...so, that is why I posted the query... :blink:

But this was the only "answer" to my problem, that I have found so far...web wide...so I thought it had some validity, especially, as it was posted to another XP forum...noted previous post :help:

Edited by b1caez01, 20 November 2006 - 07:25 PM.