Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I hold XP's folder options?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What may be happening here is that WinXP will only remember 400 folder settings when set to default settings. Let's increase this to say...8000.

Set a system restore point.

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the file and choose "Extract All" and extract it to the desktop. Double click on the extracted file and answer "Yes" when asked if you want it to merge to the registry.

Reboot and see if your view settings will hold.

*Reg file from kellyskorner

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2006 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
WORKED! ...so far! ...after one reboot.

Wannabe...Jo...thanks for sticking with me... :whistling:

Now if it reboots tomorrow with no problem, we've apparently helped a pile of folks, going by the number of peepers :blink:

I seem to have found an article on this very issue...lots of folks will be happy :help:

http://www.findartic...1/ai_ziff115185

A Solution for Windows XP Folder Amnesia? :PC Magazine, January, 2004 by Neil J. Rubenking

I've been using my Windows XP computer for about 18 months. For the past couple of months, Win XP has refused to remember my folder settings. I've checked in Folder Options and the box titled Remember each folder's view settings is checked. But when I open folders that I previously changed the View settings on, their appearance does not reflect the settings I chose. What's going on?

Chris Lombardi

This has been a thorny problem for years. PC Magazine even created a small utility called ViewFix to force Windows 95 systems to use specific view and sorting settings consistently. With each successive Windows version, we hope the problem will go away. Instead, it only seems to get worse, and earlier solutions like ViewFix have stopped working. A solution may be in sight, however, at least for Windows XP. The solution is difficult to verify, so if you find it successful (or unsuccessful) please let us know in our discussion forum (http://discuss.pcmag.com).

By default, Windows XP remembers the last 400 folder settings. After 400, it's supposed to discard the oldest settings, so that it always remembers the most recent 400. In some cases, however, it just stops remembering new settings when the number of settings hits 400. Note that the steps that follow will clear all your old folder settings so Windows XP can remember more, and this method also raises the limit higher than 400.

1. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog.

2. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell.

If this key is not present, skip to step 8.

3. If a subkey named BagMRU is present, delete the entire subkey.

4. If a subkey named Bags is present, delete the entire subkey.

5. In the Shell folder, look for a value named BagMRU Size (with a space between BagMRU and Size).

6. If this value is not present, select New | DWORD Value from the Edit menu and name the new value BagMRU Size.

7. Double-click on the BagMRU Size value, choose Decimal, and enter the desired number of folder settings for Win XP to remember (for example, 1,000).

8. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_ CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\ShellNoRoam. If present, repeat steps 3 through 7.

That should cure Windows XP's faulty memory. The OS will "forget" all existing folder settings, but from this point onward, it should remember them correctly.

Copyright © 2004 Ziff Davis Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. Originally appearing in PC Magazine.

Edited by b1caez01, 22 November 2006 - 08:41 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Not solved yet... :rofl:

Downloaded your ZIP, installed, still not working :) .

Going in for the kill :help:

Registry, here I come.

If I don't get back on line tonight, you'll know it was a bust and I am in serious guano :whistling: Nothing I can't handle though :rofl: I'm used to it :blink:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
O.k., I survived...so far so good...

Ooops, spoke too soon...

Set folder options on restart tot "Details" ...then went to net...then to geeks...

Went to spot where I saved the process followed...AND THE [bleep] ICONS APPEARED AGAIN... :whistling: :blink: :help:

Set folder to "Icons" and saved settings... closed Explorer

Reopened Explorer and reset folders to "Details" ...tested it 10 times... and am now going to shut it all down and see what happens.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Followed both suggestions, to the letter...

Continued to experiment with the sequence of setting the Folder View Options...booting and rebooting from a restart, booting from a complete shut down...

I am now staring at ICONS, ICONS, ICONS, and MORE ICONS...

Total Bust :) :rofl: :rofl: :help:

I am so obsessive about this, I just might to a re-install of XP :whistling: :blink: :help:

P.S. ...on the first boot after the first reset, my desktop settings for the placement of icons was off, they were not where I left them prior to the reset of the folder options, so there might be some affect on other settings beside folder settings following this procedure.

Re-checked MS http://support.micro....com/kb/813711/ ...but all it says is what's been said before...with no explanation as to the whys and wherefores...although it does say, that the problem was resolved in SP2...well, I don't run XP2 [been there, done that, suffered the consequences], and don't plan to...so what's the fix, in that situation?

It is not enough to say that without SP2 one is in trouble; it is more appropriate to know what the specific problem is, and what the specific fix is. What's the big secret?

So, I'm no further ahead then before !

Edited by b1caez01, 22 November 2006 - 09:01 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I too get irritated with seeming "minor" things, and have done a reinstall for less (Don't even ask me about a History prob I had a year or so ago! LOL) Hold off, I'm tired, and I need a hot bath and a good night's sleep. Let me do some poking around and experimenting tomorrow while the turkey is in the oven and the in laws are here. I might come up with something, ya never know! I read a tweak somewhere that allowed you to set pic files in thumbs, other files in detail, some with icons...assigning XP's override, and I think I even might have downloaded it, but I forgot about it until just now. I wonder if that would solve the issue, assuming I can find it? Like I said, I'm exhausted tonight. Anybody else's memory jogging? It had to do with changing shell context folder settings...I think.

On a diff subject, I don't keep backups of the registry, and never would for two reasons. It's to easy to retain mistakes, and SFC is available for checks and 2. System Restore is watching those files anyway. My comp is pretty faithful with restore points, and if I do get a glitch from a new software or bad hardware driver, 9 times out of 10 is does the trick. I am hesitant to mess with XP system folders unless I am specifically repairing because my machine has SP2 and over a hundred hotfixes. Add Norton, and my registry is a big mess after the last 2+ years, but I'm confident XP ignores what it doesn't need. I don't use reg cleaners or "tune up" proggies like Norton Systemworks, because XP does a good job of taking care of itself. Older versions of Windows did not, and I am excited to see what Vista can handle on its own, from plug and pray to finding generic drivers to ignoring obsolete registry entries, and repairing corrupted files on the fly. IMO, XP is a major improvement over Win9X for that stuff.
Be well, and happy Thanksgiving.
Johanna

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Jo...I can smell the gobbler bubbling in the hearth :rofl:

Too bad, being Canadian, we already clobbered our beastie :blink:

I suppose my problem might be attributed to the fact that I am sort of computer-arrogant... I have built a small fortress around it, and when even the slightest thing goes off kilter, I do not leave the patient's side until the recovery is over :rofl: There is a "need to know" imperative going on here...

I've spent long hours researching this over the last week or so [when it got too much to bare]...every day turns up a new "suggestion" but nothing is coming our of my queries to MS... They know there is a problem, but they are not admitting to what it is, or where in the registry a REAL fix can be made. Their answer is just to download an update...not to "teach" the user just what's up.

re: saving back ups... I don't mind...I've got the room...I back up everything either to disks, hard drive partitions, or slave drive...I could easily wipe my main hard drive at any time without too much worry, and have had to many times over they years. I like to mess with Windows Head :whistling: and this leaves me in the muck and mire quite often...but that's how you learn this stuff...not by reading it in books...IMHO :help:

So, I am buttressed up the yin-yang and then some...but there is a pea under my mattress :)

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Sorry, got carried away there... back to work...

Here is a quick review of the attack zone...

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Here are my reg entries for those sections...of special concern is the last...

1_Reg_Entry_Shell_BagMRU_Size.jpg 2_Reg_Entry_ShellNoRoam_BagMRU_Size.jpg Windows_Policy_Reg_Entry.jpg

Note in NoSaveSettings the digit 0 should that be a 0 or a 1?

Are their any other anomolies?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:help: No improvement :whistling:

Resets to "default" every time! :blink:

N.B. it appears that 233 others are having this same problem...

Edited by b1caez01, 25 November 2006 - 01:29 PM.

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I've always had this problem on and off with Windoze. I too like to have "Details" rather than icky little icons.

Someone told me a long time ago that it's best to change th "universal" folder options when in the "top" of the tree - ie., the desktop - that's supposed to work better than doing it from any old folder. Don't know if it's true or if you're doing that anyway but it's a thought!

Mine are all staying in "Details" at present so I'm not tempting fate!

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Kind of a shot in the dark here, but have any programs that prevent changes to the registry? WinPatrol and RegMon are a few examples of these.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Been there, done both things many times... :whistling: :blink:

I've tried "setting" the view at all stages of the "tree."

I am now focusing my internet search on the issue of Windows not holding its overall user settings...you know, when it shuts down, it says the it is saving your settings...

I'm going to go a google on "shutdown settings" and see what turns up...

Back later...

Checked out... http://www.aumha.org.../a/shutdown.htm

"Eleventh Step: RULE OUT WINDOWS FILE SYSTEM SETTINGS: Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Click the Performance tab. Click File System. Click the Troubleshooting tab. Mark all the check boxes, click OK, click Close and click Yes. Reboot, then test Windows shutdown. If Windows shuts down properly, the problem is related to the File System settings. Go back and uncheck each box one at a time. Reboot and test Windows shutdown after each change to identify which item is the problem."

O.k., back...went to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings>unticked "Use Common Tasks in Folders" Rebooted...WORKED ... now I'm going to shut it all down and boot raw...

Back later...

NOPE! BACK TO SQUARE ONE... :help: It did not shut down properly. It did not reboot properly. Turned off and rebooted again...o.k. second time.

Back later...

P.S. ...in another forum, someone appears to be stuck in "Details..." now, if we could just trade errors, we'd have it solved :)

Edited by b1caez01, 27 November 2006 - 06:33 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Reapplied the following reg entry, but to no avail... :whistling: :help:

-------- begin copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4
;
;8000 Folders
;
;
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

-------- end copy/paste above this line

Noted, after deleting BagMRU and Bags...that new folder contents arose...

In the BagMRU the was a child of 0; and in the Bag Folder there was a child of 1, then another sub-child folder of Shell.

MS advice does not work...

"WORKAROUND: Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, create a BagMRU Size DWORD value in both of the following registry keys, and then set the value data for both values to the number of folders that you want Windows to remember the settings for. For example, for Windows to remember the settings for 5000 local folders and 5000 network folders, set both values to 5000.

You must create the new value for the following registry keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
Important You may have to adjust the BagMRU Size values for your specific situation. If you increase the BagMRU Size values, the information that is stored in the registry increases. When you use roaming user profiles, registry information is copied to a server when you log off and copied to your local computer when you log on. Therefore, you may have performance issues if you increase the BagMRU Size values for roaming user profiles.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type BagMRU Size, and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
6. Type 5000, and then click OK.
Follow these steps:
1. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
3. Type BagMRU Size, and then press ENTER.
4. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
5. Type 5000, and then click OK. "

BUMMER :blink:

And a final entry for today give me no hope AT ALL :help: :rofl:

"Within Explorer, in Folder Options/View tab/Advanced Settings, you can check the "Remember each folder's view settings". From this moment, each Explorer's window, including My Computer, Recycle Bin, Control Panel, Network Connections or Printers should always open itself at the same defined position, with the same defined size and selected columns.

In fact, Windows XP remembers those individual settings in a kind of database within the Registry, under :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

For some unknown reason, this database may however become corrupted from time to time (this is not a new problem in Windows). If this happens, you can’t anymore save the specific settings of each Explorer’s folder : each Explorer’s window will always open with the default size and columns settings, and at a random position on the screen, what is really annoying for people who like a well organized desktop, with constant windows size and position to suit their needs.

To solve this issue :

1. Start REGEDIT.EXE
2. Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU"
3. Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags"
4. Close REGEDIT.EXE
5. Open and customize each of Explorer’s specific folders[u] that you wish (My Documents, Recycle Bin, My Computer, Printers, Network Connections, Control Panel,…), then close it : it will again open each time with your defined size, position and columns.

THIS IS A HORRIBLE SOLUTION...ALTERING EACH FOLDER ONE AT A TIME...I'VE GOT HUNDREDS :)

Final word before I go off to see if reinstalling Windows will solve the problem.

MS...knows of the problem...it is an historic issue...but they are unwilling to back up their program with proper programming, or a fix. See their explanation to the developer folks...and then move to their suggested "fix," which is more totally obscure gobbledegoop :rofl: at the second URL
http://msdn2.microso...y/aa969314.aspx
http://msdn2.microso...y/ms633008.aspx

Edited by b1caez01, 27 November 2006 - 08:24 AM.

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Reason #100000000000000000000000000000 why Windoze is a truly horrible OS!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Wol,
If you haven't got anything constructive to add to the conversation, please refrain from posting. We have a legitimate documented glitch here, and some experienced users trying to work around the problem. Of course we cover glitches in the forums. If we discussed all the things Windows gets right we'd be terribly boring. Now, reread the entire thread, and if you have anything useful to contribute, please do so. Thank you.
Johanna
(home with children for the last 5 days and probably more cranky than usual)