Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I hold XP's folder options?

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:) I'm not up to re-installing XP just yet...so I'm going to let this issue float on the pond for a few days. Hopefully, some programmer out there will accept the challenge and do his/her Oprah thing and "pass it on..." by solving the matter...and sharing it with the scads of folks who are following this diaglogue. THIS IS A MAJOR ISSUE! Implicitly, since we've all bought into "computers" then we have concomitantly bought into their problems...

Since 99% of us are stuck with Windows, in any version, the solution to this problem will be a godsend :blink:

So, the challenge, if you think you are a computer whiz kid, a "wunderkind " par excellance...then here's your chance to prove it :help:

Wol, I "feel" your pain :rofl: but Jo is correct...let us all try to keep our perspective on these issues. I suppose we ancient ones are more resigned to the vagaries of life, and the short term memories of software. When these computers become so interactive, that one can reach through the screen and throttle the "cause" of the problems, then we'd all feel better off for it :rofl: We are still in their infancy.

And the "computer" life just ain't that serious :whistling: Real life is a lot more so...

P.S. ...if you are an older "senior" these wee blips are challenging and will exercise your mind...so consider it as an healthy experience...

Edited by b1caez01, 27 November 2006 - 04:32 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.windowsbb...ead.php?t=59788
Skip down to Bill Castner's comments.
(Thanks Rockster2U for the link! :whistling:
Johanna

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Wol,
If you haven't got anything constructive to add to the conversation, please refrain from posting. We have a legitimate documented glitch here, and some experienced users trying to work around the problem. Of course we cover glitches in the forums. If we discussed all the things Windows gets right we'd be terribly boring. Now, reread the entire thread, and if you have anything useful to contribute, please do so. Thank you.
Johanna
(home with children for the last 5 days and probably more cranky than usual)

My apologies!

After 10 years of 95, 98 and XP and attempting to keep my comfusers running for more than a day at a time my frustration sometimes shows and I forgot this is not a forum.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Jo: checked out your link...this info referred to toolbars, not folders, and what was noted...a lot of these things noted there have been tried already...but...there was one link I noted there...something noted under a not so different problem...that intrigued me...
-------------------------------------------
"Hi, There is a registry fix available, I am assuming you have knowledge of the Windows Registry.

In the Registry Editor, navigate in the left pane to... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, and select this key. If the right pane doesn't contain an icon labeled NoBand, right-click in the right pane, choose New, DWORD Value, type NoBand, and press Enter. Double-click NoBand, type 1 in the 'Value data' box, and press Enter. You may need to log off and then log back on again before the setting will take effect. Now the toolbars in Explorer, IE, and your folder windows will be locked, and you can activate or deactivate them only by editing the Registry. This also removes the 'Lock the Toolbars' command in Windows 2000 and XP.

If you want to prevent anyone from customizing the Standard Buttons toolbar, right-click in the right pane of the same Registry entry, choose New, DWORD Value, and enter NoToolbarCustomize. Set this key's 'Value data' to 1. Now logoff and Logon.
[http://themes.belchf...howtopic=14076]
-------------------------------------------

The issue I zeroed in on was the Policies entry for Explorer...note the info on DBand...now see attachment from my registry...
REGISTRY_HCU_S_M_W_CV_P_E.jpg

Notice where my entry for NoSaveSettings is a [0] I would think that this should be a [1] what do you guys think?

Edited by b1caez01, 29 November 2006 - 01:40 AM.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello there. Will I ended up here doing a google search as the folder view option has been a nagging issue with me for several years. It just didn't hold. Anyway I installed wannabe1's folder view registry increase as well as Johanna's link to Bill Castner's suggestion on deleting a subkey which I also followed. I love making those adujustments in the registry :whistling: (I frequently make backup disk images with Acronis True Image) So far so good after reboot and normally after reboot It defaults right back to tiles and I always reset to icons. Looks like I'll be sticking around. Thanks again.

.. I forgot to mention that I had also used TweakXP, TweakUIXP and it would work for about 2 or 3 reboots.

Edited by rodneymckay, 30 November 2006 - 11:59 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
The "gods" are with you...

I am still in purgatory :help: and feel like it is a permanent thing that I will need to live with...

P.S. I made an error... I said that my problem was that I always defaulted to Icons...it was Tiles, like yours...

The results are the same though...no changes...NO MATTER WHAT WAS DONE...

++++
LATER EDITED AMENDMENT: yes, I've been net wide, and visited many fora to dig out a solution. If you find one that does not repeat what has already been tried...then I'm interested.
++++

Microsoft's answer is to load XP-SP2...they failed to make the single fix available for download...

As I have not tested, nor do I want to...whether having XP-SP2 installed makes a difference, I can't say... So, I may have cut off my nose to spite my face...but I have to be that way to get some of my needed progs to run properly...bummer...othwise, I have no problem with SP2 :)

Is there anyone out there that is having the same prob with SP2... i.e. is MS fibbing about SP2 curing the problem which they are fully aware of? :blink: The answer won't help me, but others might be helped by knowing this might be a solution that really works... :whistling:

Or, has anyone found a single fix option besides loading SP2?

Edited by b1caez01, 01 December 2006 - 05:25 AM.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
..........One day later! No it didn't hold, its defaulted back to tiles unfortunately. One of those XP bugs I guess. The one thing I don't use is a password when I have to login, also when I set up TweakUIXP, so maybe if I use one it might help. I've got so many usernames and passwords around here its a nightmare keeping track.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
...ditto...let me know how the password thingy works out...

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
By the time they figure out folder view options bug it will be time to retire XP for Vista. I can live with it.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
...ditto...

And wouldn't you know it...today it worked...

That makes three times in the past month :blink:

Somehow, I'm going back to Windows 98SE :help: :) :rofl:

Are there any XP-SP2 geeks out there that know enough about the update to be able to identify which file among the many there, is the one to address this problem, or which group of files...? Better that, for me, then the whole whack of them :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 03 December 2006 - 09:06 AM.

Advertisements

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Problem fixed unintensionally. Long story>short. ! This morning I installed Freespire on a second hard drive just for something to do because I'm always messing around with installing OS when I'm bored. Anyway after about five minutes of Freespire I deleted the install (no internet connection, no sound-DA) and had to do the windows CD R>fixboot deal. Anyway I was planning on rebooting back into as (previous user name) and it booted up to the administrator account fresh desktop. Weird! It didn't stop at any login screen. So then I reset TweakUI in administrator account desktop, and set it to boot to my previous desktop I had before I installed Freespire. So I rebooted and it went right to my desktop with no logon screen, just the windows XP boot screen. Don't ask me to repeat this and its confusing, but anyway its working.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
But will it be consistent? Avast me hearties...that's the question! As soon as I opened, as I said, it was where I wanted to be. All a titter, I posted that last note. Later, when I went to "My Documents" and opened it...back to square one... " Today, when I opened up...back to the Tiles...bummer :whistling:

"Send 'im to the plank, Smee!"

Edited by b1caez01, 04 December 2006 - 08:41 AM.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Nope, sure didn't hold. Back to tiles view. :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I suspect this is going to be an unsolvable problem. May as well abandon the attempt. I refuse to reformat for so insignificant a problem, and I refuse to load SP2, for the same reason. And I refuse to be manipulated into buying something I cannot afford, nor would really find any use for :whistling:

MS gave up on it...so humble old us ain't gonna solve it :blink:

That's why they keep coming up with new versions, and leaving the older versions to us peons to struggle with. It's a shame because "we" trust our software makers to do right by us...After all, its our money that is making them gazillionaires :help:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
O.k. today, I opened up and every thing was as it was supposed to be...the way I left it...Details View...

On shut down yesterday, I had left a folder open with all of its contents on display...that's one of the XP options...I wonder if it will hold the key...but I usually do that anyway so it will be open and on display...I just never thought of that option as possible remedy...mmmmm, going to have to think on that one...

I'll get back to you if this is a keeper :whistling:

Edit: two days and holding...but I am not holding MY breath :blink:

The first thing I did on both occasions was to grab the setting as it opened before XP had a chance to change its mind...and saved it for all folders in the usual way.

So, I'm closing it up when I'm done, in the setting where all the subfolders are open and exposed in the right panel :help:

Edited by b1caez01, 13 December 2006 - 12:31 PM.