Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I hold XP's folder options?

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Ditto...on a roll :whistling: :blink: :help:

KEEP THOSE FOLDERS OPEN SHOWING THEIR CONTENTS, ON SHUT DOWN, IN A STATE THAT YOU WANT THEM TO OPEN IN...

Don't count on Windows to save any other setting for your folders then that state of being...

Will report back only if the problem resurfaces.

Edited by b1caez01, 15 December 2006 - 07:54 AM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Final report: :whistling:

How to hold XP folder view settings...at geekstogo, my question had hundreds of hits...as well, the internet was replete with queries...but nothing worked...

I may have "solved" [?] the matter...or at least put a bandaid on it...

I have managed to "hold" my "DETAILS VIEW" settings for four days now.

1. start up
2. wait till all settles down
3. open Explorer...and any folder on c:\
4. set up view settings on any folder's contents in c:\ so the the folder is open and exposing its content files
5. set all other folders the same, as per usual
6. save settings [this is the point at which it all breaks down...won't save in spite of reg showing it should]
7. do your "work"
8. at shut down, BE SURE THAT A FOLDER ON C:\ IS LEFT OPEN, WITH THE CONTENTS EXPOSED...even if you have to set up a bogus folder with bogus files in it...you can start with a text file, then add any extensions you want...these bogus files will be empty and inoperable...HARMLESS
9. XP saves the last save command which was applied to the open folder and which was showing its contents...
10. shut down...XP saves settings as usual...
11. start up
12. repeat the opening commands #1>#3
13. the folder and its contents should still be open!!! ...it was!!!
14. next, I tried setting a password to my old "un-passworded" account
15. shut down
16. all was saved
17. started up
18. called for password
19. all opened
20. folder was held in the format that was saved at shutdown...

Now, I don't know if this the solution or not...greater minds than mine have worked on it, to be sure...but IT IS WORKING STILL, AFTER FOUR DAYS... :blink:

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
So your saying after you do the folder Tools>Folder Options>Viiew>Apply to all Folders and then before you shut down you open up a folder on your desktop showing the folder views you set before shutting down.
What is the password thing for ? (TweakUI) Ok,. So before I shut down you open up a folder and then you shut down.

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
My own XP seems to hold its details view regardless of reboots etc - but I used to have exactly the same problem. I made so many attempts to "lock" the details view that I can't remember what actually workd in the end - I'm petrified to change anything now, just in case .......

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Well, day six and it is faltering...although not so annoyingly so...and just in the folder I have set up on my desktop holding the shortcuts to Window's games...

To: rodneymckay

I'm so confooooozed :blink: :help: :)

"So your saying after you do the folder Tools>Folder Options>Viiew>Apply to all Folders" < at this point, I hit "Apply" at the bottom of the popup and then "O.K." and the pop-up closes...

NOTE: each time it starts up successfully, I redo the process BUT I have noticed that when I hit the "Apply" at the bottom of the popup, it hangs; or when I hit the "OK," it hangs...sometimes both, sometimes either one...hangs for a good 20 seconds or so...and freezes up everything...then it's clear sailing...

"and then before you shut down you open up a folder on your desktop showing the folder views you set before shutting down." :help: not on my desktop, in c:\ ... Like Docs and Settings, or whatever, making sure the internal files are showing in the right panel

"What is the password thing for ? (TweakUI) Ok,. " < nope, no TweakUI...use the "User" settings where you establish a password when logging on...

In the past, I have always stayed away from using passwords... as you get older, it is hard to remember your name, let alone passwords...and who would want to get into my computer anyway? Just another affectation of trying to be a SPY :rofl: or something...

If this method does not work, I am going to try setting up a new user account, and then reset the parameters in that, to see if it works or makes any difference.

"So before I shut down you open up a folder and then you shut down." < see above response...

GOOD LUCK :whistling:

Remember, I am noting some weaknesses in this approach, now. So, I am going to keep working on it as needed... :rofl:

Edited by b1caez01, 19 December 2006 - 09:34 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Shut it down, went for a nap...started it up...back to square one!!!!!!!!!!

TILES, yuck...

Ah, fogedaboudid...I'm going to the garden and eat worms ;(

Really thought that I had something there...oh well, I can now say that I'm not any better than Microsoft, after all, ...as if...

It may still be something in the incompatibility of downloaded updates and the "request" to stay status quo, which basically is what I'm trying...although I am not using SP2, the computer thinks I am...

mmmmmm....?

Edited by b1caez01, 19 December 2006 - 04:05 PM.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Shut it down, went for a nap...started it up...back to square one!!!!!!!!!!

TILES, yuck...

Ah, fogedaboudid...I'm going to the garden and eat worms ;(

Really thought that I had something there...oh well, I can now say that I'm not any better than Microsoft, after all, ...as if...

It may still be something in the incompatibility of downloaded updates and the "request" to stay status quo, which basically is what I'm trying...although I am not using SP2, the computer thinks I am...

mmmmmm....?

Very frustrating, but nice try b1caez01. This is definately a bug in XP. Nothing holds. TweakXP, run> "control userpasswords2" it might work for 2,3,4 times and then back to tiles. YUCK is right!

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Ditto: back to Tiles today...

The last desperate thing I am going to try is to reinstall Windows, not uninstall, and then reinstall, but reinstall over the last install... confoozed?

Off to the races...hi-ho Silver!

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
:whistling: I use Acronis Disk Director Suite. Installed everything, drivers, critical updates and major programs and everything is running like a top and purring like a kitten. I make a disk image and save it to another partitian and when I need to I restore the image. Saves allot of time. Takes about five minutes.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
http://www.freedownl...ctor_Suite.html

Don't have a clue how "Acronis Disk Director Suite" would help: "Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is the only comprehensive partition and disk management suite that can help you manage partitions, recover accidentally lost or deleted partitions, install multiple operating systems on your computer and even more."

This is not an issue whereby Acronis would have any affect, unless you have a magic key...

So, horror of horrors, I broke down and installed XP2, because it was supposed to "repair" this problem...

NOPE! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN :whistling:

And it still is not happening...as of this moment 12-31-06..what a New Year it's going to be...fighting with that stupid idiosyncracy ;(

Edited by b1caez01, 31 December 2006 - 05:22 PM.

Advertisements

Sahoh

Sahoh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

I have read through these posts a few times now and I think I may have found something that you did not try. Fairly early on, you mentioned that you did not want to delete the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell{NoRoam}\Bags" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell{NoRoam}\BagMRU" keys. I can certainly understand the hesitation, but you sound like you are willing to try anything, after this long. Have you already tried deleting these keys? If not, then I suggest you try it. Make sure to backup the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows" key (to be safe, I tend to backup from a key prior to the keys to be deleted). That way, if it still doesn't work, you can restore and you are at the same place you are now.

Okay, so after I typed up that paragraph, I went on to spend about 2 hours typing up a huge explanation as to what I thought was wrong and why. During the course of typing that up, I found out that on November 27th, it looks like you actually did try deleting the "Bags" and "BagMRU". However, in looking at it closer, it appears as though the reg file that you used shot itself in the foot. Look a little closer at this reg file entry:

-------- begin copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4
;
;8000 Folders
;
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
;
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

-------- end copy/paste above this line

First of all, the "REGEDIT4" at the top is something that is for Windows 2000. For Windows XP, the first line should read "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00", I believe. I am not sure if "REGEDIT4" is acceptable to XP's regedit utility (perhaps it is okay for regedt32, I only use regedit). My point with this is that perhaps the reg file did not go in successfully. Then again, maybe it did.

The next thing thing is a little odd because 5 days earlier you were mentioning that the following was your "attack zone":

-------- begin copy/paste below this line

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
-------- end copy/paste above this line

The difference appears minor to me, I mean what does it matter when the "Bags" and "BagMRU" keys are deleted, just as long as they are deleted, right? Well, consider the following information:

The "Bags" key contains the view settings for each folder (along with some other data). By default, Windows will only keep track of 400 folders at a time. I know that you already know this, I am just restating to make a point. Once the 400th folder has been saved into the "Bags" key, Windows will overwrite the 1st folder's view settings. Since you normally do not update 400 folders at a time (a possible exception being when using the apply to all folders function), Windows probably has a pointer somewhere pointing to the middle of those 400 bags, so that it knows which one to update next (i.e. the oldest "bag"). Now, you have come along and changed the "MRU Size" value to 5000. The pointer is still pointing to the middle of the list, but now there is a 401st (and many more) bag available. This means that the pointer is now messed up because it should not overwrite the oldest bag until the "Bags" key has the same number of subkeys as the "BagMRU Size" value specifies. My point is that the pointer is now bad and that will probably lead to the "Bags" and "BagMRU" keys becoming corrupt (possibly without any interaction from you).

My logic may be faulty (I even see a few holes as I read back through it), but it really doesn't matter. If you make sure to delete the "Bags" and "BagMRU" keys first, then my theory is moot. I know that you have tried this many times, but before I make my next point, I wanted to make sure that you are deleting the keys as a first step.

When I searched the net for other discussions of this issue, I found it interesting that most of the discussions would include instructions that match up to the second reg file listed above (i.e. the one with the keys being deleted first). It took me a couple hours of research and reading through many of the discussions of this issue before I finally noticed that these instructions are incomplete. The instructions are deleting the "Bags" and "BagMRU" subkeys from the "ShellNoRoam" key, but what about the "Shell" key? The difference between the "ShellNoRoam" and "Shell" keys, according to the Microsoft article that you quoted on November 27th, is that one of them pertains to local folders and the other pertains to network folders. I have not figured out which is which, though.

The only discussion of this issue that I found where both sets of keys were deleted was in the article by Neil J. Rubenking that you quoted on November 22nd. It is not as obvious in just looking at his steps because he does one of those "repeat steps 3 through 7" things. I know that you already tried following the steps in this article, but I believe that was before you applied SP2, right? Perhaps when Microsoft stated that SP2 solved the problem, they meant that the "BagMRU Size" value is honored in SP2. Like you said, it would be nice if Microsoft had told us what they meant by "problem solved in SP2", but I work in tech support for a company that occasionaly releases similarly vague answers. We have found that many times, when our development team tells us that the problem is solved in the next patch, the problem that has been solved is not the same problem that was reported. Many times, the problem that is reported has an underlying problem that is actually causing everything to go wrong. In these situations, if we in support catch it, we will change the solution to be "after applying the next patch, the product will now honor the parameter, as documented." It could be that this is what happened with this issue in SP2, Microsoft fixed an underlying problem and "forgot" to tell us that after applying SP2, these steps still need to be applied.

In summation, I think that you need to merge the following reg file with the registry on your Windows XP SP2 box:

==============
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
==============

I apologize for my long-windedness, I tend to drown people with the amount of information that I give them, but I have problems picking out the important details from the unimportant details. I think it is very important that you understand my thought process so that you can know whether you want to try my ideas or not. I hope that I have been helpful. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
Sahoh

P.S. Something else you could try if that does not work is to change the NoSaveSettings to 1. Everytime you mentioned this value in a post, someone else took you down a different path and NoSaveSettings appeared to be forgotten. Perhaps you tried it without mentioning it on here or perhaps I missed it, but if you haven't tried it, you should try just to see if it helps.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Sahoh: very appreciative of the time you took to offer up a relatively intelligent discourse...it was not lost on me... I too have spent countless hours reading and trying various persons' suggestions...you have offered up nothing new, as far as I can tell though :whistling:

I am interested, now, in the bottom line...how to repair what is there [see images]. Even with SP2 and all updates, and a daily cleansing of my entire system, all remains elusive... and after a restart, the settings are never the same, some days it works fine...other days it appears to work fine on startup, then a folder will open up as if there was no affect, and so on... It still remains a daily occurence to have to set things up from the get go...

In reference to your well constructed outline, which by the way Microsoft refuses to deal with, because I have an OEM version... What difference that makes is beyond me...as it all worked perfectly up till a few months back. I have had XP installed since almost the first day it was issued, as I had my computer built for me...and had to take it, as I mistakenly was of a mind the bigger was better and ordered the largest harddrive I could get at the time...I knew no better until after the fact. I learned later, that I would have been better off with two or more drives of smaller size, on which I could run 98SE...with no problems at all... too late wise...

As there is no reference to "REGEDIT4," "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00," or :Windows Registry Editor" in my registry... where exactly does your suggested entry, of those words, get deposited?

I now have XPSP2 installed, and here are the particular reg entries...they do not appear much different then before...

1_WIN_SHELL_MRU_Entries.jpg 2_WIN_SHELL_MRU_Entries.jpg 3_WIN_SHELL_MRU_Entries.jpg 4_WIN_SHELL_MRU_Entries.jpg 5_WIN_SHELL_MRU_Entries.gif 6_WIN_SHELL_MRU_Entries.gif

As well, I can not longer access geekstogo as I once could a week or so ago... My posts do not get visibly posted, nor can I edit, as before.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Much appreciated as well. I believe this is more then just deleting registry entries to solve this problem. This issue continues to be a bug discussed among many forums. It effects some windows PC's and some have no problem. I believe its a specific file, program, dll, ? that has been deleted that causes this to happen. Have you guys installed/uninstalled StyleXP that could have possible caused this issue. I'm just throwing out some ideas here. [bleep] I'm so use to resetting my file view after reboots I don't pay any attention any more. I'm still working on on the autologon problem I've had for months.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
re: StyleXP

checked this out, and it was never installed in my system...so that is not the problem at my end... :blink:

As you can see from the number of hits on this topic in the index, it is a world wide phenomonon that MS has yet to resolve and yet is still charging us an arm and a leg to get new versions that carry this bug...

Thanks for your input though :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
re: StyleXP

checked this out, and it was never installed in my system...so that is not the problem at my end... :blink:

As you can see from the number of hits on this topic in the index, it is a world wide phenomonon that MS has yet to resolve and yet is still charging us an arm and a leg to get new versions that carry this bug...

Thanks for your input though :whistling:

Edited Posting: as I cannot see what I posted, I have to use the return to last URL icon at the top of the browser just to write this sentence. :help:

So, I am signing off from geekstogo...bummer...