Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DESKTOP AS WEB PAGE

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I would really like to see my desktop under more control, like the controls the old Windows 95 ...or was it 98SE ...getting old-timer's disease... :help: You could up-load an image to the desktop and then alter its position and size to suit.

I'd like to mount specific images on the desktop, over the defaulting chosen screen image.

Is there any software out there that will allow me to do that?

I use "Stickies" already and it is very handie, but have not found anything that will return me to the "good ol' days" :whistling:

Suggestions :blink:

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I an see that this issue is very popular...as if... I must be the only one who is dating himself here...

Found a few progs on my own. Have yet to test them. Will let you know in due course.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you mean what XP calls "wallpaper"? Guess I don't understand the question (I never used 95, either!)
Johanna

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Aw, you must be a babe in the woods. I am a descendant of DOS...been up through the pre-pubescent yrs of the earliest available Windows versions, for me, at 3.1, through all other versions, to my dottage in XP-SP2. I do not intend to retire to VISTA...damned if I'll be "hooooooked up" to some machine, with tubes and cables hanging out of me :blink: :whistling:

That being said, NO, not wallpaper. In the early versions, you used to have a function under "Properties" on the desktop which allowed you to view your desktop as a "Webpage." It was most entertaining, and you could put all sorts of junk on it, absolutely anything except for active media files, as they had not been "invented" yet, as far as I know. And I don't recall if ani's could be mounted, although I don't think so. All that sort of animated stuff is very recent to computers.

I do know that I had pics of the fam...graphics, etc., and they were dynamic, in-so-far as the user could alter the size of the pic from anchor points on the edges...and you could locate them anywhere you wanted by just grabbing them and moving them around. It became a truly personal space!

I miss it...

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 03:09 PM.