Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pay Pal "Security"

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I've had a "premier" PayPal account for more than 4 years. I have used it occasionally, (it's personal, not a business) and consider PP reliable and convenient. But I got married three years ago, and changed my last name. The only way PayPal will change the name associated with my account is if I fax them my drivers license or marriage certificate, despite the fact that my PayPal account is tied in with one of my checking accounts, and my bank certainly knows what name I use these days. PayPal has been depositing money and withdrawing money from this same checking account since I created my PP account, using the "wrong" name for the last 3 years, and since my bank doesn't care, neither do they. I would like my account name and my real name to match, for the convenience of the people I do business with. If my first name wasn't uncommon, the confusion could be worse. I think faxing them my official documents in the days of rampant identity theft is ridiculous, especially considering that my bank has my picture and fingerprints on file, my bank changed the name on my account at my request three years ago, and received all of that documentation, and PayPal is getting paid, so can't they take my bank's word? For goodness sake, this is a small town, and I have never showed ID since I opened the account seven years ago- I don't have to because we all know each other. And PP wants me to FAX them my proof? Are they crazy? A friend who went through a similar situation and said she just closed her account and created a new one. Why should I have to do that, and then have to set up the regular withdrawals on the account, or lose my history of good credit? And a fax? Who has a fax machine at home? I could scan the documents and email them, but i don't have a fax machine, and here in corn and beans country, I have no clue where there is one, assuming i would ever be willing to share that info in the first place. Any big shots from PayPal here? Ahem...customer service issue opportunity here!

Johanna

:whistling:

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Have you tried asking your bank if they can do something? I think they should/would be able to take care of that.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• Topic Starter
  • 3,038 posts
The bank has already indicated that they would verify the information if PayPal initiates the request.
Johanna

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
but the bank itself wouldn't do anything huh. what can i say

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
E-mail Pay Pal and tell them to talk to the bank?

~Matt

Edited by matty3, 07 November 2006 - 01:24 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I dislike the way paypal seems to think of itself as a bank. I transfer money,then wait for up to 7 days to spend it, plus the extra fee's, it's quite expensive. When you sell something on ebay, you pay a fee based on the amount the product costs, then pay again to paypal for using it's service, then again to transfer the money to your bank. That's triple dipping.
I too have a simialar situation to Johanna's. My paypal account is in my maiden name my bank account is not. I cannot upload money unless i fax information to them, which I certainly wont do. I would rather change my bank details, I trust my local bank alot more than I do Paypal's sever in sillicone valley (probably anyway's), secure or not.
I don't even trust call centre's anymore, I used to talk to the company directly, now I talk to somebody in India, who have been known to sell personal ionformation to just about anybody. I'm not supprised India's local government is changing some town names..............

Edited by sarahw, 07 November 2006 - 03:20 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could kick paypal to the curb and go with google http://checkout.google.com

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
E-mailing PayPal won't solve anything. You'll get an automated response telling you to phone during business hours. Then you'll get a high phone bill. Thieving b******s!

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Johanna, if you are still having problems, I have a person who works for E-bay and is tied to paypal. Just so happens that "person", might be able to get you a live person on the phone to handle your concern.

Let me know :whistling:

Harry