Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:17 AM
Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:12 AM
Change boot order to CDRom first in the BIOS
Boot from cd when installing XP it will ask which partition to install to delete the partition and recreate a new one and format it as NTFS.
This will delete everything off the drive unless you have more than one partition, if you have files you need to keep save them to disk first or use a third party program to create a second partition and save files to that second partition.
Also visit the your motherboard site and download any drivers needed first, ie video, sound card ect.
also make sure you have SP2 for XP or check that its incorparated in the disk.
Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:51 AM
you can do one of the following
A: contact microsoft who will talk you through the steps of JUST changing the license key in windows (easy)
B: preform a REPAIR install of windows instead of the format method shown above...this will replace windows...but leave all your programs and data files where they are so that you don't lose anything
Repair the Windows XP installation.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
- Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
- When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
- When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:
- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
- To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
- Press ENTER.
- Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
- A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:
- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
- To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
- Press R.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.
How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:07 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users