Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to upgrade Videocard/Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

Izia

Izia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, i am trying to upgrade my current computer's video card. I currenty have an integrated card and it's terrible. It's an HP m7334n Desktop 3800+.

This is my PC

Hardware
Base processor
Athlon 64 X2 (T) 3800+ 2.0 GHz

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939

Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: MS-7184
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmethystM-GL6E

Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

Speed supported PC-3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two

I am interested in theese two video card's

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130061

and

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130066
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, it says that i need 400 Watts power supply and i only have 300 watt's. My question is, should I upgrade the power supply? Install the Video card as is, even with the 300 waatt's? or just look for another video card that is very similar where i won't notice much of a difference and i can leave the old power supply in.

Thank You! in advance for your kind assistance!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, i would upgrade the power supply on your computer. If you noticed the newegg website specified that video cards needed at least 18 amps to run those video cards. It takes a pretty good PS to give you that amps on the 12 volt line.

So, my suggestion is to get this PS as it has everything you need.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194003

Other slightly cheaper PS's did not have the minimum 18 amps for the 12 volt line like this one does have. One Caveat here is that you will have to compare PS case sizes to make sure the power supply will fit. Quite a few H-P computers use undersized PS's in their cases because the case won't fit standard ATX PS's. Double check this on your computer.

SRX660

Izia

Izia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so id have to upgrade the power supply to run most new cards? any other cards out there that are similar to the 7950 but use less power?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yes, I only have a 250 watt psu on a compaq pressario and i am running a ati x1300 pro you might look at even going up a step to the x1600 pro or the x850 pro, the x1900 might run on the 300 watt psu but i would say get a new psu if you wanna go over the x1600

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Don't buy an nvidia card. You have the misfortune of running an ATI chipset, which has some serious issues running any nVidia based GPUs. Stick with an ATI videocard, although I'll leave the specific models up to people around here who know much more about ATI than I do.

Izia

Izia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This was actually my other card

http://www.asus.com/...e...p;l2=7&l3=3

I actually just today bought a 7600GS and just put it in my PC. I'm pretty disappointed with this card and i think i'm actually going to return it tomorrow. lol for one day of use, but what can ya do. I cant seem to find any info on my old card, about what type of a power supply you need. ASUS seems very evasive and doesn't release information like the other companies do in regards to power supply requirements.

The 7600GS seems perform a tad lower than my 6800GT, which saddens me. My debate now is should i put back the repaired 6800GT when it comes back from ASUS (sent back for repair/replace under warrneyt. I'm not sure if i ever had the right power supply, which could explain why this card died out so soon (7-8 months) after i purchased it. However i did have a problem where i placed this card directly on top of a TV tuner , and i think that generated way to much heat , the cards were almost touching.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, the 7600 GS isn't much (if any) of an upgrade over a 6800 GT. If you have a card that works, stick with it. The 6800 will run anything on the market, and there's no real reason to go higher without going pci-express, if you already have one. You also have an nvidia card proven to work in that motherboard, which is a bit suprising. Take it and run. The 6800 needs, in your average system, at least a 350W power supply, 400W to be on the safer side, which provides at least 18A over the 12V rail.

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hello everyone, i am trying to upgrade my current computer's video card. I currenty have an integrated card and it's terrible. It's an HP m7334n Desktop 3800+.

This is my PC

Hardware
Base processor
Athlon 64 X2 (T) 3800+ 2.0 GHz

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939

Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: MS-7184
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmethystM-GL6E

Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

Speed supported PC-3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two

I am interested in theese two video card's

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130061

and

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130066
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, it says that i need 400 Watts power supply and i only have 300 watt's. My question is, should I upgrade the power supply? Install the Video card as is, even with the 300 waatt's? or just look for another video card that is very similar where i won't notice much of a difference and i can leave the old power supply in.

Thank You! in advance for your kind assistance!

I have the same coputer great system. I up graded to a nividia 6800 gs video card and a 550 watt power supley man this computer rocks now. I had some computer shop do it. I play games on it like a mad man for hours none stop. Hooked on flat out 2 and need for speed carbon right now the card has ran every game.But if your a gamer get the microsoft x box 360 controller it is awsome.IMO