Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Burner is Driving me Nuts!

• Please log in to reply

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi there, Im hoping this is a simple problem:
I have a burner. IT was working quite well up til a ew months ago, and isnt very old. Recently, I was trying to copy documents, pics etc onto a dvd because I have so muchs tuff on their and want to have it on disk uin the unfotualte event that I get stuck and have to wipe everything out.
Well, Some music got succesfully saved, after multiple attempts, and now finally.. nothing. I cant copy a program, picture, song anything. When I first pop in the blank cd or dvd, it asks me what I would like to do with the blank disk.. then, when I try to do something, it tells me "please insert disk." If I try to open that drive on the comp, or right click/paste after copying, it tells me that "D:/is not accessible. Incorrect Function"
It will play disks. But will not copy anything. What the heck is going on. (warning, I am mildly computer illiterate)
Thanks
:whistling:
Shilo

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I take it you are using Windows XP's built-in cd-burning capability? Well, Shilo, that can only write to a CD, not a DVD. To burn to a DVD-R/RW you have to buy some third party software like 'Nero' (the most widely used) http://www.nero.com, or 'Easy Media Creator' at http://www.roxio.com/

There is also a free one called 'CD Burner XP Pro' at http://www.cdburnerxp.se/, but as it's free it's likely to be a bit 'buggy'.
Another free one here: http://www.freewaref..._205_24053.html

Edited by pip22, 03 November 2006 - 02:28 PM.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have Nero. I bought it not quite a year ago. And I have deep burner pro. I ahve downloaded numerous trial burning programs. REsults are always the same. They stall halfway through, never make it toactually writing to the disk. Now, no matter what program I use, it tells me there is no disk in the drive, whether it be a cd, dvd etc. But it will play a cd/dvd if it is in there. Today, I was trying to copy/paste a few thiings to cd. Same results. Tells me there is no disk, OR tells me that D:/is not accessible. Incorrect Function. I am mildly computer illiterate, but I know the basics. Reinstalling windows, or slave drives, or making sure to run spyware programs etc. But this one has me stumped. When we had to switch drives in order to move stuff from one drive to the other( i had so many documents that i didnt want to lose), then reinstall xp on the other one,I am wondering if something got messed up. Nero would no longer run, would start up then freeze. Tried to uninstall and reinstall. Would not install. And since then, nothing, I cant even copy stuff to cd.

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've got a similar problem, both DVD drives will play cds/dvds, but wont recognize blank media most of the time - except when the computer has been in standby mode for a long time - then it will accept a blank cd or dvd no problem - but just one, if I try a second one it goes back to "please insert ..." I don't think mine is the drive, jsut something messed up somewhere. Anyone with any advice for us?

PS. Hope I'm not hijacking - it seems like the same problem.

Edited by unpluggedsb, 05 November 2006 - 09:04 AM.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I hope I'm not hi-jacking either, but I have similar problem with my cd/dvd r/rw drive. I use Nero as well.

Eagerly awaiting the replies.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, I no longer use Nero, when I tried to reinstall it after I had to redo my comp, it wouldnt install, just froze the computer. Although I am comforted that I am not the only one suffereing from this. (crappy that we are all having troubles though. :whistling: )

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Are the drivers installed for the burner?

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Mine used to work fine - can't be a driver problem. All of the sudden it got finickity about recognizing blank disks (in Windows Media Player and in My Computer), not it only recognizes blank disks after it has been in standby mode for awhile and then only for the 1st disk. But it plays disks fine. I don't think it is a problem with the burner because my read only drive won't recognize the disks in my computer either. Says 0 bytes used an 0 bytes free space. Still confused.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Did you install any new software or hardware around the time that the problem started?

And as for the others with this problem, drivers can be the solution. Go to the manufacturer's website for the latest driver/firmware.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, I noticed this problem after I had to do some work on the comp. I needed to reinstall windows. But I didnt want to lose all my documents. So I switched the two drives. Made my secondary drive my main drive, (because my secodary drive didnt have alot of info on it, but is smaller.)
My original promary drive wouldnt start up anymore, there was a majoy system crash. so after switching drives, as I said, I made the smaller drive the main drive, installed windows on it, then was able to access the other drive, draggd/dropped all the documents onto it that i wanted saved, wiped out the other drive, then switched tham back around. (cant rememebr exactly, but id did it with the help of the great folks here at GeeksToGo). Afterward, I realized Nero wasnt working, went to reinstall it, it froze the comp. Used Deep Burner Pro, kept getting the "insert disk" ,message... contacted the Deep Burner Pro message board, they said it was a media issue, buy different disks, bought MORE dvds, and it was the same problem. I was trying to save all my important info onto disk so that if there was a comp problem again, I could just do a clean install without worrying about losing info. AFter the DVD burning wasnt working, I tried to just move some smaller files to CD, this wouldnt work either. Sometimes after MULTIPLE tries, I could burn off a few of my saved songs etc., but now that doesnt even seem to be working.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
When you switched the drives, did you change the jumpers of each accordingly?

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks I checked my drivers but they seem to be uptodate. Can't really recall if we installed new software - maybe Windows Messenger. Should I try uninstalling Windows Messenger and see waht happens or would reinstalling Windows Media Player help? Thing is the blank disks arent recognized by other programs either. Or could reinstalling drivers help - can I even do that?

Edited by unpluggedsb, 06 November 2006 - 07:57 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello,

Try this software, when my old software wouldnt burn cd's this program did the trick and i love it! just uninstall the toolbar when finished, simple as that

http://www.download....3...&tag=button

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
mpfeif:
Im pretty sure I did, I followed to the exact instructions as received here... and everything else works fine. Everything got switched abck again after we dragged/dropped files etc...
Is there anything I can run to see if there are drivers missing or... sumthing?Perhaps something fried on the comp?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
All the different problems here are getting confusing :whistling: Please, let this thread be for helping meremoongirl. People that have similar problems, wait and see how the outcome of this thread turns out and try that. If that doesn't work, start a new thread with your own problem.

meremoongirl: Definatley sounds like a driver problem. If you tell me what kind of dvd burning drive you have (model number, brand) I can help you find the appropriate drivers.