Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2k only sees half the Hard disk volume?

• Please log in to reply

zackster

zackster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My new build posted up right away but when I went to install windows it saw the only 131 gigs of the
250gig hard disk. When I tried to format a 30 gig partition it formatted it and then shut down. On restart
the partition is listed as missing or damaged. What gives? Is this a Win2000 problem? Thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi zackster and welcome to G2G!

Try putting in a windows startup floppy disk and then type in fdisk. In this menu have look around I haven't re-arranged my partitions in a while so I don't remember what the menu looks like but you should find a place that shows the type and status of the missing partition. When you find this write down the stuff and paste it here and I'll help you from there on.

Edited by SOORENA, 03 November 2006 - 08:31 PM.

zackster

zackster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was able to format a 25 meg partition and install win2k. In disk management it shows a 131 meg hard drive with 25 meg partitioned and the rest unpartitioned. It still does not show the total 250 megs.

I did the fdisk as you asked. It shows one partition of 25 megs and nothing else.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Who is the maker of the hard drive?

Fenor

zackster

zackster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for responding so quickly. I feel a little foolish. This is a new build and after I ran the motherboard cd and installed all the drivers it worked like a charm. I also flashed the bios and now all is working as it should. At least for the time being. I did find a web site describing intel drivers for this problem. It's beyond my abilities but interesting anyway.

http://support.intel...b/cs-009319.htm

Thanks again.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Update to SP4 (I believe). WinXP won't see more than 120GB or so of HDD space until SP1, and Win2k won't see hard drives larger than that until SP4.