Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will This Vid Card Work on MY PC?

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi.

I just got a HP A1620N.

Now I'm looking at getting an ATI Radeon 9550 (100-437105).

The card's info says it is AGP.

My PC has 3 PCI slots and 1 PCI-Express slot.

Will this card work on my PC?

Thx.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No, but if you have pci-express alot of much much better newer and cheaper cards will work, that cards is several years old and uses AGP which was replaced by PCI-express which you have.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
So ANY PCI express card for the same cost or cheaper ($70) will perform better than that one?

Why is such an old, obsolete card still being sold at stores?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Heres a link from tigerdirect with all their pci express cards

http://www.tigerdire...a...CatId=1558

Edited by SOORENA, 03 November 2006 - 08:08 PM.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Thanks, SOORENA.

But I'm really not having trouble finding cards. I'm trying to learn how to judge them.

Like what in the heck does "Supporting"-mb mean?

Stuff like that.

I also had read that PCI-Express was weak.

See? I'm pretty ig'nant :whistling: .

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
My suggestions to you is to either go for the radeon x1300 pro, the x1600 pro or the x850 pro these are low to mid ranged cards that don;t cost much and run great on most any pci-e enabled comps. Plus once you get to know more about the cards you can over clock them to a certain extent.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
http://www.tigerdire....asp?CatId=1560
I don't know anything about ATI cards (except that I have a generally low opinion of them, especially from a support standpoint), but nVidia wise, the 7300 is the best budget card on the market currently (will run most games), and the 7600 is the best midrange cost effectiveness vs performance card out there. What you're really choosing when you buy a video card (having settled on a model) is support. Do some research into each individual company before you settle on one, as they tend to differ pretty widely. On the nVidia side, XFX, EVGA, and BFG all have very good support programs, long warranties, and good hours. I found this all out, much to my chagrin, when an ATI card fried on me, and the company tried to charge me per minute to call their support line.

Definetely go with something in the x<number> series (ATI) or 7xxx series (nvidia).

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
That is also something that you should consider when looking at the card is support and warranty, most nVidia cards(BFG in particular) provide a lifetime warranty on their cards. You should also look at the type of games that you are going to be using the card for, as ATI is better at running Direct X applications then most nVidia cards are and nVidia cards are better at running OpenGL 2.0 applications. So if you find you play games like Doom 3 and such it would be better to get an Nvidia card, otherwise i would stick with an ATI card