Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VAIO dotty display

• Please log in to reply

white44

white44

• Pip
  • 2 posts
VAIO PCG-K115Z

Display has vertical/horizontal bands of various cloured dots. Same problem using ext. monitor.

Problem exists on B/W display at boot up as well, although not in colour ( ragged display of words/numbers).

It started after son knocked computer, but not dropped.

LCD display replaced but still the same, but of course ext. monitor check would have proved this anyway if I hadn't jumped to hasty conclusion.

I don't know if comp was on when knocked, but if so could this have corrupted a video chip firmware?

Driving me mad and want to do some photos and artwork.

Thks. for any asst.

Graham

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
From what you describe it does sound like a problem with the video-chip.
Video-driver corruption is also a possibility, which should be flagged up in Device Manager as a red exclamation mark so check that too.

white44

white44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, nothing flagged.

What low level chip drives video on boot up, ie b4 windows loads?

I want to check board for physical damage, loose chip in (socket?) or hopefully one of those nasty flimsy ribbon connectors etc.

Thks. for so far.

Graham