Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hd troubles

• Please log in to reply

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer was running fine, I did a restart and it recognizes my hard drive , and one time on the boot screen it would just say , Disk Error , insert OS disk and then press any key. The hard drive is Western Digital about 4 months old. I made sure it was first in the boot list and then when i try it it recognizes the drive and the screen just hangs on the boot screen . Any ideas on this?

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Sounds like Windows is corrupted, if you have the Windows disk, then change your cd drive to be first in the boot list, boot from the cd, and do a repair installation.

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i could try that, but when it asks for admin password, i dont know what that is , i tried hitting enter and that didnt work , any other suggestions?

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay i got my hd working as a slave on another computer. i am backing up some of my files. is there any thing important that i should backup and when i installed it as a master it said no os found. i only have the xp upgrade disc. anyhelp on what i should do now?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts

is there any thing important that i should backup

That's personal, what do you need that can't be replaced... documents, photos, passwords, etc.

i only have the xp upgrade disc. anyhelp on what i should do now?

You can still do a repair installation with an upgrade disc. Check out this guide on how to do a repair installation:
http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

As for the administrator password, the default password is just blank unless you changed it. If you forgot what you changed it to, do a google search for how to recover a lost windows password, I am no expert on this subject.

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay i backed up important files like pics and etc. thanks for posting the link on how to do the repair, i really appreciate you helping me out! thanks

ryan

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
No problem. Keep us posted on how it goes :whistling:

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i tried doing bootcfg /rebuild on xp , nothing happened, i tried doing the install , then hitting repair, same thinsk nothing happens. am i doing something wrong, i pretty sure that my bios is set up right

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay here is where im at right now. i tried my hard drive in another computer as a slave and it works , when i make it the master it doesnt work. it says ntldr is missing. i couldnt copy ntldr or netdetect from the xp cd, any help on this? where can i go from here?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
NTLDR missing can mean a couple of things.

First, this may sound obvious, but this actual does cause these problems. Check to see if there are items that are trying to be boot from, like a floppy in the floppy drive, a memory stick in a memory card reader, etc.

Next, is your harddrive configured correctly in the bios?

You may also have a corrupt boot sector. Boot from an msdos disk and type in "fdisdk /mbr" to reset the boot sector to default.

See this page for more info: http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

ryan mccullough

ryan mccullough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay i tried doing this in repair
copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

and it sad that was an invalid path file

did i type something wrong

i dont have a floppy or memory stick, never hurts to ask though.

i will try to do the ms-dos

thanks for replying back i keep checking , cuz this is driving me crazy!