Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My laptop screen is discolored

• Please log in to reply

Hyunjin808

Hyunjin808

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop screen is kind of discolored... There's a straight column of discoloration on the very left side of my the screen. It starts probably an inch to the right of the Start button on the taskbar and it goes to the left... Outwards to the edge of my screen. (My taskbar is located on the top)

I don't know how it got discolored.. One night, I turned on my laptop.. And.. It was just there.. :/ The very first day I saw it.. I freaked out and started touching the screen. Then I felt some crud on it.. Probably residue from a sticker or something.. (...idk why i would have a sticker on my screen though) and so i scraped it off.. and the screen seemed to get better.. but then it quickly came back, although less dis-colored than before. and so.. i pressed firmly on the opposite side of the screen (the cover part for the laptop..) and it went away.

I've read that discoloration is often caused my.. Some kind of magnetic force.. ~_~; So.. Would it be because of something magnetic?..

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

My laptop screen is kind of discolored... There's a straight column of discoloration on the very left side of my the screen. It starts probably an inch to the right of the Start button on the taskbar and it goes to the left... Outwards to the edge of my screen. (My taskbar is located on the top)

I don't know how it got discolored.. One night, I turned on my laptop.. And.. It was just there.. :/ The very first day I saw it.. I freaked out and started touching the screen. Then I felt some crud on it.. Probably residue from a sticker or something.. (...idk why i would have a sticker on my screen though) and so i scraped it off.. and the screen seemed to get better.. but then it quickly came back, although less dis-colored than before. and so.. i pressed firmly on the opposite side of the screen (the cover part for the laptop..) and it went away.

I've read that discoloration is often caused my.. Some kind of magnetic force.. ~_~; So.. Would it be because of something magnetic?..

not 100% sure but I don't think the manetics affects the lcd's like that. But lcd's are known to have problems like that, or a pixel that is stuck on or stuck off or stuck on a certain color... As far as I know there is nothing that can be done short of replacing the screen. If it is under warranty I'd check and see what there lcd policy is as far as that goes. each company/model has a certain amount of defects it can have before it is considered a bad screen and force them to replace....

good luck

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

not 100% sure but I don't think the manetics affects the lcd's like that. But lcd's are known to have problems like that, or a pixel that is stuck on or stuck off or stuck on a certain color... As far as I know there is nothing that can be done short of replacing the screen. If it is under warranty I'd check and see what there lcd policy is as far as that goes. each company/model has a certain amount of defects it can have before it is considered a bad screen and force them to replace....

good luck

i havent tried it on a laptop since mine is fine, but i know on a psp if you bring up and image of 1 color leave it sit for about an hour and go through the primary colors it fixes the dead-stuck pixels in its lcd