Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp start up

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi I was just wondering if I could speed up windows xp start up currently it takes about 1 minute to turn on which stresses me alot. My computer is up to date - 2.52ghz, 512mb of ram, 120gb hd. I have tried bootvis but that only knocks about five seconds of the start up. Any help would be well appreciated.

PS. please don't tell me to uninstall everything - currently am only using 25gb of my 120gb hard drive. Also don't tell me to use bootvis.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Have you tried the "Easy XP Tweaks" pinned at the top of this forum? Some of them are really helpful. Otherwise, you best bet is to run HJT and see what programs you have running automatically at startup. Some of them may not be necessary and could be eating up resources. If your not sure, then run HJT and post the log in the Malware forum. The experts there will look at it and tell you exactly what should and should not be in there.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi thanks for the reply, i've already done the tweaks they were ok, but anymore help would be well appreciated.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

One minute isn't really that long of a bootup time. What programs are booting up at startup? How many little icons do you have in the system tray? (the little icons by the clock) Also, might want to check out these sites, and check out what needs to be starting up and what doesn't.

http://www.pacs-port...artup_index.htm
http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm

Hope that helps. :tazz:

B