Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fasterfox or Google Web Accelerator, both, or either?

• Please log in to reply

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've never been able to tell whether Google Web Accelerator made things faster, because I've only used it alone with IE 6 before -- and half the time then, was riddled with malware. I also consider the Performance Data to be specious.. almost totally unbelievable, frankly.
Now that I have Fasterfox , I can't detect the two working in harmony, and it almost seems that they are conflicting with each other.
If I drop one, which appears to be the obvious next step, I'm 90% sure it should be GWA. Is this right?
Let me add that this is my first Topic post , and I wanted to start with something minor, easily solvable. The fact is, I have plenty of non-minor issues, all across the board, I'll surely be needing assistance on soon .
...I have only been a computer user for two months now, and was propelled into learning many things quickly, by the initial struggles I've had to keep this used computer bugfree. It came with many viruses, and acquired over 3,000 Infections (of Trojan Downloaders, worms, Backdoor's, Website Hijacks, et al.) the first month of use! I certainly wish I had heard of this site when I had plenty of major problems to sort out!

Good luck, whoever is out there to pick up this thread, on giving me a balanced answer to such froth. :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Fasterfox:
# Prefetch Links
Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with Fasterfox's unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

# Tweak Network
Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

Google accelerator:

http://radar.oreilly...web_acce_1.html

My preferance is to user fasterfox with firefox.

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks, Starjax, I already knew all that. What I was fishing for was someone out there who has applied both Fasterfox and GWA to their Browser, or an expert, who might be able to tell me if they are incompatible .
Well, I'll wait a few more days before I Uninstall The Google WA.
Maybe someone will have some success stories, or ghost stories, about useing the two combined, by the weekend.

Edited by Macro Svelte, 11 November 2006 - 11:01 PM.

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Alright, if there are no more takers, to submit their experience w/ the Firefox & Google Web Accelerators, either used alone or together, Ill consider this a moot issue, and go with what you do, Starjax
... and proceed with the Uninstall of the Google, making the little fox my man.
With sub par dial-up, I need all the help I can get in matters of Net speed!

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dang it! I lost a whole 3-screen- length'd post, as my system totally shut down (Registry flab?!) again

Here's the gist of it:
I've learned in the past couple of days just how much more vital information one can become aware of in 30 hours time. And all of this I learned on smaller Site's (that don't hold the cup out incessantly for donations, mind you).
e.g.,

Go for FireTune!! It's much better!!
by DeepFreeze3 , Jul 21, 2006

With the Fasterfox extension enabled in my copy of Firefox, I had some
problems with web pages ....when I went without the extension
enabled it happened far less...it didn't happen at all after getting rid of it
and switching over to Firetune.
In short, Fasterfox doesn't hold a candle to
FireTune.
Go for the latter if you want something that speeds up your web
browsing without giving you any weird problems, because the former just
doesn't cut it.

http://www.totalidea...t/downloads.php
And, besides, for most user's --the following is true:

I didn't find any change in the browsing speed. Another very disturbing aspect
was that some of the sites just refused to serve me pages, I am pasting one of
such messages**FORBIDDEN: Pre-fetching abuses our website.**

If you are using the FireFox extension 'FasterFox', it is very poor and will
block you from websites that it abuses. Please uninstall it (and perhaps add
a comment to the FasterFox page. If you are not running it, you are running
some sort of poor extension that pre-fetches pages that it shouldn't (ones
without a 'link' marker). Once you have done this, you can re-load this page.
Note that if you do not remove the rogue program, you will continue to see
this message occasionally.

If everyone did this, it could easily quadruple the load on our server.

NOTE: There *are* other programs besides FireFox that do this (Google
Toolbar *shouldn't*, but might; a rogue web proxy may as well).

Slow down, Cybercitizens!, take a breath , and a step outside the hurlyburly matrix ofSpeed as Religion
& !To Hades with those Little Sites!, (who don't like Fasterfox for being a big- time Bandwidth Hog and disregarding Netiquette codes) --I wanna go faster!!!
Call me cynical, but Google is near as bad in many respects, and doesn't work at all well with anything but Broadband, anyway!
Don't accelerate the ascent to total Web Chaos! It may be the only thing you're speeding up, arrogantly /&/OR/ ignorantly using a Web Accelerator.
user recomends firetune, removed the link until its reviewed by staff
The Internet must have a conscience, if it is to be of any value to the average user.

Edited by starjax, 09 November 2006 - 07:06 PM.