Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How would this rig work?

• Please log in to reply

love_child40

love_child40

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, I'm thinking of a way to rig up my computer and tv in a certain fashion and maybe one of you experts out there might know about it.

Here's the thing, I'm trying to save money where I can and I'm paying 60 bucks on directv on two tv's right, and i'm paying 10 bucks on dial up internet.

I actually found a broadband that might work on my computer and it is skyFX for 40 bucks, a satallite broadband and I figured out that I could get tv shows off the internet.

I'm thinking about getting rid of tv with directv and rigging it so that i could get my shows off the internet and fling them to the two tv's.

Maybe getting the wifi router from Walmart and sending to a wireless adapter to go into the A/V jacks of both tv's.

I have XP right now and I hope that i could get it to work, and play with the computer at the same time as the shows are playing on the tv's, (I know that sounds like a lot of work for a computer, but the stats are 2.77Gz proccessor and 512 ram so I don't worry too bad about it.)

That would be cool if anyone of you knows about it.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Last time I checked, there was no legal way to download tv shows from the internet.

love_child40

love_child40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Are you so sure about that? Just type in tv shows download into google and you would get quite a few ads for them. It is about 20 bucks a year for tv shows and other software access on p2p networks, which i'm still trying to figure out p2p completely still.

And if anyone has that service about getting tv shows from the internet for a price, please tell me if they have a good selection.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Just because you're paying money doesn't necessarily make it legal :whistling:

I know of two ways of getting TV shows legally from the internet (there might be more that I am unaware of):
  • Watch the shows for FREE on the network's website. Believe it or not, some networks (including ABC and FOX) actually show the most recent episodes of some of the most popular shows on their website. You stream it and watch it right in the browser. The downside to this option: only a few shows are offered and you don't get to download them, just watch them in your browser.
  • Buy them from a program such as iTunes. iTunes Store has a very large selection of tv shows, download iTunes and see for yourself. Each episode costs $1.99, however it is cheaper if you buy a whole season. You can also suscribe to a show via a "season pass" for a one time charge and get all the new episodes for that show. The downside to this option: the downloads you get are full of DRM crap and can't be easily transferred.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Based on that LEGAL way to obtain TV shows from the internet, here's what you need:

A media server. That's it. This can either be a computer with a TV out card (a bit on the expensive side, for a single purpose device), or a dedicated device. Personally, I use a Dlink
http://www.dlink.com...sp?cid=75&sec=1
The Buffalo Linktheater is AMAZING, if it's within the price range
http://buffalotech.c...p;categoryid=18
Stay away from the Linktheater Mini though.
I believe Netgear makes one or two as well.

Essentially, they make a wireless connection to your home wireless network (or a wired connection in some cases). You run their server software on your computer, point it to the folders that have your media (video, pictures, music, etc) and they play it over your TV.
Even with that low end processor and small amount of RAM, it should run just fine, the computer doesn't do a whole lot of work in the equation.

love_child40

love_child40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hmmm, that's interesting. But i did find a product from good ol' ebay. It connects to the usb, you get the software from the CD, and it flings it to the A/V in jacks on the tv and it has a remote to control the computer software.

I also can't help but wonder, if it isn't legal, why isn't it shut down already when it is right there in the google adds, not hard at all to find. I need help understanding that.