Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting computers

• Please log in to reply

combsemt

combsemt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[font=Arial][size=7][color=#009900]Trying to connect two pc's together. Would like some assistance. Can I use this cable that looks like a phone cord but larger, and connects to what I believe is and ethernet card or network card? Please help with how to accomplish this. Also, once I get that done will I be able to have both on the internet at same time using a dial up connection?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The large phone connectors are called RJ-45 connectors.

how do I use Direct Cable Connection to connect two computers?

Windows XP

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, then Network Connections.

Note: The Windows XP default desktop view and Start menu are different from the Windows Classic View (e.g., in Windows 2000). Therefore, navigating to certain items can be different. In the interest of broad applicability, most Knowledge Base instructions assume you are using Classic View. For information about switching your Windows XP default view to Classic View, see the Knowledge Base document In Windows XP, how do I switch to the Windows Classic View, Classic theme, or Classic Control Panel?
2. Under "Network Tasks", choose Create a new connection, and then click Next.

3. Select Setup an advanced connection. Click Next.

4. Select Connect directly to another computer. Click Next.

5. One of the two computers has to be set up as the Host and the other as the Guest. The Host is the computer that has the files or resources that you want to transfer, and the Guest is the computer to which you will transfer the files or resources. Choose which role this computer will play in the transfer, Host or Guest, and then click Next.

6. If this computer will be a Host, select which port and cable you want to use for this connection; the Wizard phrases this by asking you to choose the "Device". Choose the proper one; for example, if you're using a parallel cable for the connection, choose Direct Parallel (LPT1).

If this computer will be a Guest, you will see a page that prompts you to type the Name of the ISP. You need to type a name for this connection, such as the name of the Host computer. You may select any name you want. Do not worry about what Internet service provider the Host computer uses for general Internet use, because for the purposes of Direct Cable Connection, the Host computer is the ISP for the Guest computer.

Click Next.
7. If this computer will be a Host, you will select the users who can use this connection. If this computer will be a Guest, you will choose whether other users can use this connection, or if it should be restricted to just you. Make your selection, and then click Next.

8. If this computer is a Guest, you have the opportunity to check a box that will place a shortcut for the connection on the desktop. If this computer is a Host, that option is not available. In both cases, this is the last page. Click Finish.

Windows 95, 98, and Me

1. Make sure you have Direct Cable Connection installed:

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, and then Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click the Windows Setup tab, and then select Communications, then Details.
4. You should see a list that contains Direct Cable Connection. If it is not checked, check it, and then click OK. You may be prompted for your Windows CD.

2. Shut down the computers and run the cable mentioned above between them. You need to attach the cable to the same type of port on both ends; i.e., if it is connected to the parallel port on one computer, it cannot be connected to the serial port of the other. Restart the computers.

3. After the program is installed, click the Start button and select Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Direct Cable Connection.

4. One of the two computers has to be set up as the Host and the other as the Guest. The Host is the computer that has the files or resources that you want to transfer, and the Guest is the computer to which you will transfer the files or resources. To set up the Host, select Host and then Next.

5. The program will prompt you for which port you want to use to transfer. You must use the same on both computers. Select the port, and then click Next.

6. At this point, you may see a prompt about Files and Print Sharing, which you must enable in order to transfer files. If File and Print Sharing is already installed, just click Next. If it is not, follow the directions to install it, which will require restarting the computer.

Note: If you are connected to the Indiana University network, do not install File and Print Sharing for NetWare Networks. Make sure you install File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
7. If you have not yet shared a folder, the Wizard will prompt you to do so. Otherwise, you will proceed to the next step. For more information on sharing folders, see the Knowledge Base document How do I set up Windows 95, 98, and Me computers to share hard drive space and printers?

8. You now have the option to set a password. After you have done that, click Finish.

Heres a article on a Cross-over cable.

http://www.wtvi.com/...sovercable.html

And heres the links to the microsoft KB 814981 thru 814987 tutorials that work.

http://www.jsifaq.co...ip.aspx?id=6995

SRX660

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can connect both machines together, but rather than the normal ethernet cable you would need a crossover cable unless you connect the machines with a router.

You can also share the dialup connection, but this means the machine you connect with would have to be on. What I would suggest is getting a SMC7004ABR router (or one similar to that, it is just what I am familar with). It is a router with the ability to have an external modem connected to it, as well as a parallel port printer. You can then connect to the Internet using the web page from either machine and once connected both machine can use it. I bought one of these for a friend on ebay for $1.04 plus shipping, but that is unusually low. Normally the price is around $10-$15. There is an older version, which is not as nice with the model 7004BR (I have one of those, which is why I would not suggest it and it is not in use). If you forget the password on that one you have to connect a serial port to it in order to reset it (no reset button).

One nice thing about using a router, even if you don't have one with the modem, is that you can setup each machine to use DHCP and everything will get set for the IP address. You still need to setup other networking aspects to share the files, printers, etc. Otherwise you need to set the IP address manually.