Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Will Not Start After Installing Roxio Media Creator 9

• Please log in to reply

PetePharm

PetePharm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. After installing Roxio Media Creator 9 (why oh why did I do it?), I get past the initial screen then Windows tries to start, then I get a blue screen after a few seconds with: Stop: 0x0000007b (0xF8C8C524, 0x0C0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I've run chkdsk /r, fixboot, and tried to start it in safe mode and 'last good settings'. I have an Evesham PC, all very much standard - not sure what else you need to know. Running XP Pro. No viruses etc as far as I know - was running Kaspersky 6 and Spybot. Everything worked perfectly until installing Roxio 9 (I had Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 installed previously).

Any advice would be most appreciated, and of course I'm happy to provide any additional info I can.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Pete

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
since it is not an infection, what about system restore to a point prior to the problem

PetePharm

PetePharm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks very much, but how do I restore if I cannot boot into Windows? I agree that this would be ideal, but all I can do right now is get to a DOS prompt using the XP disc - I cannot actually get it to boot into Windows at all. Can I do a system restore from DOS?

I appreciate your quick reply!

Kind Regards,

Pete

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, I am asleep, do you have a copy of XPpro to do a repair with CD

another idea

to restore missing boot files when the boot is corrupted

- check that boot sequence is set to cd
(ask if you don't understand)
- turn on the computer
- place XPcd in the computer
- turn off the computer
- turn on the computer again
- press: r
- press: enter
(black screen appear, recovery console)
- type: run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
- type: delete C:\Boot.ini file
- type: run Bootcfg /rebuild
- type: run Fixboot
- type: exit
- restart your computer normally

Edited by fleamailman, 04 November 2006 - 04:27 PM.

PetePharm

PetePharm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. Sorry for the long wait to reply!

I simply could not fix this. My backup Ghost image was messed up as well become of this installation. After trying just about every data recovery software around, I gave up on this mainly because none of them would let me transfer my 120 Gb image file from the 'bad' hard disk to another one - they all seem to have a 4 Gb max per file for recovery/transfer.

In any case, in desperation I tried PartitionMagic, and in seconds it 'fixed' my broken backup USB hard disk, so I merely restored my Ghost image file to my hard disk, and hey presto! - everything works. Needless to say I shall not be trying to install Roxio 9 again! Thinking about Nero but really I need something rather simple - any ideas?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated! I'm posting this in case anyone else gets stuck with a similar problem. By the way, none of the fixes posted worked.

Cheers,

Pete