Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachine memory compatibility?

• Please log in to reply

sternrulez

sternrulez

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having problems with my Emachine t3256 restarting of its own accord, albeit intermittantly. I read somewhere that it is due to a bad memory module. I installed a program called "everest" that reads the system info, and it reports that I have 512M of pc3200 ddr sdram (which is what came with the pc when I purchased it).

NOW, to the problem...I've looked at several websites, and they ALL say that the "100% compatible memory" is pc2700 ram and not the 3200 that I have installed. If I were to purchase this, would it still be compatible with my pc, or did they install incorrect memory in the first place? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
the 3200 rating slows down to match the processor speed. Therefore any PC3200 stick will work, it'll just run as fast as it needs to.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
your mobo will clock your ram down to its frontside bus speed or the lowest common denominator, in the case of pc 2700 and pc 3200 your pc 3200 would be dialed down to match the speed of your pc 2700 ram if that is the ram you got, so with that said i would get the pc3200

sternrulez

sternrulez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The only problem with that is that no one lists 3200 as being compatible with my system... :whistling:

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
does your computer work right now with that pc 3200 stick in your computer? if so then my guess is your motherboard just dialed it down to whatever speed was compatible with your motherboard.

sternrulez

sternrulez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes it works fine (except with the problem I listed above). If I get the 2700 speed, will the board dial it down futher?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, well i decided to do some more research for you, your pc was supposed to come with 512 mb of 184 pin ddr pc2700, your motherboard however will support up to pc3200. I would recommend going with whatever your manufacturer recommends but you shouldn;t have a problem with the pc3200 since your mobo supports it. That problem you are hvaing sounds more like an overheating problem then a problem with ram especially if that third party test you did came back saying your ram was fine.
Here is a link to the basics of your motherboard http://www.emachine-...keta/au31.shtml

sternrulez

sternrulez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow...thanks so much for the info!! :whistling: